Extruder going backwards!!

andy-kelly

Posted · Extruder going backwards!!

Hi Guys,

I am new her so please be gentle with me. I built my UM 1 yesterday and my Extruder motor only seems to extrude in one direction, backwards. its drawing the filament out of the tube instead of driving it towards the hot end.

Has anyone ever had this problem before. I have tried every thing to fix this but with no joy.

Any help would be great.

Thanks fellas,

Andy out.........for now.

I've seen a couple of people that have had a problem where the leads were inserted in the wrong order on the connector. I took a quick, terrible photo of my connector. It's an old machine but I assume it's still the same on the new ones.

connector

Switching the leads around isn't too terribly difficult. If you look at the opposite side of the one shown in this photo you will see some metal through openings in the case. Use a needle or some other sharp tool and carefully press on these metal tabs while tugging on the corresponding lead. They should pop out without too much resistance. Then simply put them back in the correct order. If they refuse to stay in the connector all you have to do is bend the little barbs (that you pressed down on with the tool) back into shape.

The easiest fix is to swap two wires in that cable Robert showed you. The connector may be correct yet the motor wired wrong. There are 2 pairs of wires. Each pair goes to a coil in the stepper. You can swap the two wires in either pair but don't swap the wires in one pair for the wires with another. So swap the green/black pair *or* the red/blue pair.

Another solution is to go here and build the default ultimaker configuration but swap the checkbox for the extruder direction (uncheck "invert axis"):

http://marlinbuilder.robotfuzz.com/

The problem with this solution is that Cura comes with updates to Marlin occasionally and you have to keep rebuilding your own custom copy of Marlin.

Glad it works, was curious what the problem was after you left chat ;)