Outer surface

Posted · Outer surface

I printed a part on a Rostock Max printer. Despite that the first and last layers outer surface seems nice, the outer surface on all the other layers between is wavy. Is there an option in Cura slicer that i miss?

Thank you in advance

IMG_20240712_095726.jpg

Posted · Outer surface

Look at your part in PREVIEW mode and use the vertical slider to get to a layer to examine.  Then use the horizontal slider.

Pay attention to the order that the walls are printed in as this is something you can change easily in Cura and might be related to your issue.

Posted · Outer surface

In preview walls are perfect lines. See the picture.

How can I change the order that the walls are printed?

Thanks again

PREVIEW.jpg

Posted · Outer surface

Oh.  That looks very strange.  Maybe post your cura settings - in cura do "file" "save project" and post the resulting file here.

Could it be that outer skin is turned off?  Or maybe it's "fuzzy" mode?

Posted · Outer surface
    7 hours ago, cpaidas said:

In preview walls are perfect lines. See the picture.

How can I change the order that the walls are printed?

But did you use the horizontal scroll bar to see?  Maybe the walls are already first.

Settings has a search box.  Try searching for "order", "before" or "after".

Posted · Outer surface
    4 hours ago, GregValiant said:

I zoomed in on the print.  What do you think @gr5?

image.thumb.png.775d07ec5349f87731bec7c9735c2a84.png

Interesting texture - if that's the look you're going for. Which in this case it isn't 😞 

What size nozzle are you using? I notice you're using 0.3mm high layers and 0.5mm line width.

Posted · Outer surface

Kind of like a "basket-weave" mode.

I guess it could be under-extrusion but it might be coupled with something else.  Definitely odd though.  It seems the same in both the X and Y.

Posted · Outer surface
    6 minutes ago, GregValiant said:

Definitely odd though.  It seems the same in both the X and Y.

Extruder motor out of whack?

Posted · Outer surface

Hallo again,

Bottom and top outer surfaces are perfect. Something is happening in the middle surfaces. The outer surfaces are printed last. I checked it.   

Find the cura settings attached

Thanks again

base.3mf

Posted · Outer surface

Slicing that file everything looks good.

I have an Excel macro that goes through gcodes, breaks them down, and does some analysis. 

At 0.20 initial layer height, 0.30 layer height, and 0.50 line width with 1.75 filament:

Max Line Width = 0.52

Avg Line Width = 0.50

Min Line Width = 0.48

Max Flow Rate = 10.0mm³/sec

Avg Flow Rate = 7.3mm³/sec

Min Flow Rate = 3.0mm³/sec

Max Feed Rate = 67.0mm/sec

Avg Feed Rate = 48.15mm/sec

Min Feed Rate = 20.0mm/sec

Those are all very reasonable.  Most printers will handle flow rates up to 12mm³/sec before things get iffy.

The speeds bounce up and down because the "Flow Rate Compensation Factor" and "Flow Equalization Ratio" are both at 100%.

The best indicator of sufficient "Flow" is a top skin.  "Bottom and top outer surfaces are perfect".

Use a decent magnifying glass and take a look at the top surfaces.  All the extrusions should be welded together with no ridges and no gaps between them.  If you can see the 2nd layer down in gaps in the top layer - then it is under-extruding.

Those walls are just weird.  I'm still leaning towards this being some sort of hardware issue.  Even the walls around the top skins are showing some of the pattern so whatever is going on is really happening throughout the print.