ABS Layering issue + stick issue

scott3d

Posted · ABS Layering issue + stick issue

Hi All,

Wondering if anyone can help me here.

I keep getting Layering issues (especially at the start of a print) and also issues with the part sticking to the platform.

I have:

1. A Heated bed platform heated to 130 (usual 110 but using ABS so advised to go higher).

2. Using ABS thus advised to extruder temp to go to 230 (I have tried 240 and 250 - result are too hot and structure fail at 250)

3. Closed environment. Though it is makeshift the whole unit is sealed when printing to stop any heat loss or draft.

4. I am using ReplicatorG. When generating GCode I use Raft, default start/end gcode, 10% fill (tried 5 and 20), Layer height of .27 (Have also tried 0.20), shells 1, Feed rate 40mm/s (tried 30mm/s too), feed rate 55 (tried 30 and 80), print temp of 220 (tried 210/230/240/250).

5. I have even had several attempts at re leveling the platform.

STILL get both layering issues and objects that dont stick (yeah I tried hair spray and sometimes it works)

Any advice would be gratefully received icon_e_smile.gif

The model is off of thingiverse

Thanks!

scott

Hi Scott

Settings I would use

110C as the Bed temperature for ABS (60-70 for PLA)

Minimum 145C for nozzle Temp, as you have an enclosure you may not need to go much hotter

Coat your bed with a UHU glue stick and wipe down after with a fairly wet cloth to make a smooth thin layer

There is also many other things to coat your bed with that people have spoken about on this forum

Use Cura with the Brim setting

Then adjust your fan speed accordingly to get nice prints (Top skins and overhangs in particular) but avoid cooling too much which will bring back your original problems

You may have to vary these settings a bit depending on the size of your prints

Good luck :)

Hi Scott

Settings I would use

110C as the Bed temperature for ABS (60-70 for PLA)

Minimum 145C for nozzle Temp, as you have an enclosure you may not need to go much hotter

Coat your bed with a UHU glue stick and wipe down after with a fairly wet cloth to make a smooth thin layer

There is also many other things to coat your bed with that people have spoken about on this forum

Use Cura with the Brim setting

Then adjust your fan speed accordingly to get nice prints (Top skins and overhangs in particular) but avoid cooling too much which will bring back your original problems

You may have to vary these settings a bit depending on the size of your prints

Good luck :)

Hey Owen,

Thanks for your response!! First thing in the morning I'll be trying these new settings out. I have litrally just tested 110 HBP and 140 nozzle with prit stick +tape (glue) and already prints have improved.

I will let you know the out come...

Thanks again Owen!

Scott

140C nozzle?

ABS has a min temp of 240C usually (natural ABS without pigments), and up to 260-270C for black ABS. printing hotter will make better layer bonds, printing lower than 240C will result in underextrusion, if you even get anything meaningful out of the nozzle to begin with.

140C nozzle?

ABS has a min temp of 240C usually (natural ABS without pigments), and up to 260-270C for black ABS. printing hotter will make better layer bonds, printing lower than 240C will result in underextrusion, if you even get anything meaningful out of the nozzle to begin with.

I was assuming it was a typo.

Also, I would try to print without the fans initially.

What model are you trying to print? Do you have problems with only this print or with various models?

Not all models are equally suited for 3D printing.

Thank you !

I have printed a lot of ABS on a makerbot, just got my UM2 and haven't tried it yet on the UM2...

This is the setting I have used successfully in the past. Keep in mind that the ambient room temperature can affect overall temperature and so is any air currents/drafts.

I use 115C for the build plate and 235C for the extruder. For the model to stick, I use an abs/acetone slur on top of Kapton tape. A thin layer is enough.