New feeder for my UM2

DonMajime

Posted · New feeder for my UM2

I recently bought a used UM2 and the printed feeder which was build on broke. I deceided to buy a factory one but it's very difficult to find a UM2 feeder instead of a UM2+. Are the UM2+ compatible with my UM2 ? Is it worth it to buy the + one ?

Hi @DonMajime,

Welcome in here.

First, of course -you can use an UM2+ feeder, however you'll need a "complete" kit..

Before going this path, please share a picture here of your existing feeder, maybe things can have another way to be solved.

Thanks

Torgeir

• Like 1

I don't have my printer with me but it's juste that the printed feeder given by Cura that was used broke. Litterally the part that push the PLA broke in two piece.

Wdym by the complete kit ? I would need to buy other part if i want to use the UM2+ feeder instead of the original one ?

@DonMajime the complete kit is the Extrusion Upgrade Kit (part 9510) which is still available. It includes the updated print head, the feeder, the mounting plate you need to put a UM2+ feeder on your UM2, and the updated feeder motor you'll need--you can't run the geared UM2+ feeder with the knurled motor from the UM2. The kit also includes bed clips that don't hurt your fingers, and the print head shafts. But the feeder motor and the mounting plate are definitely essential to make the UM2+ feeder work on your UM2. 

Like @Torgeir said, photos would be helpful since there might be other modifications on the machine worth looking at before proceeding.

• Like 2

Hi @DonMajime,

You've got the best advisor (Erin), for help or buying Ultimaker parts from.

As the UM2 are the "work horse" of Ultimaker (-IMHO -I've one), -but there are a little one named "UM2 Go" that's actually outperform most printers of this kind, when printing smaller objects..

You said something broke in the feeder, this lead me to think there are another "feeder" solution on your UM2.

Just to say, the parts that's broke might be reprinted for you at very lo cost..

We just want you to be up going with your "new" printer. 🙂 

Thanks
    Torgeir

• Like 2

Thanks for your help !
    I'm moving so my printer will arrive soon, i'll send you photo so you can tell me if there is other change on the machine.

I don't know about all my printing option but since the feeder didn't really work before the broke (it was kinda sanding the filament ending by cutting it...) I'm more comfortable to go back to the original feeder.

I will still wait for your advice when i will have the photos.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi again,

I succesfully found an other UM2 printer that I have installed on the machine.

Now I tried some test for the level but since my printer isn't in my office anymore I wanted to use an SD card.

I have a brand new one but when it comes to print my g-code tste file the printer keep saying "readinf SD card...".

I don't know where the problem comes from since the sd-card is new and only have two g-code file in it.

If you can help me... I really want to print something for once 😅.

Hi @DonMajime,

Well, -congrats with the "second" UM2. 😀

You really need to use the SD card (never the USB) to feed the gcode files to the printer.

The SD card have to be formatted in FAT32 and max size is 16GB.

(However, I've been using a 32 GB SD card and its working fine, but there is a limitation in the number of files on the card.

Don not know the actual max number are, but when you reach the max number of files you wont see the new files you put in after this limit are reached (all the other files are visible).  Just save the old ones to your hard disk, then delete them from the SD card and you're ready to go.)

Also worth note, you may format a 32GB SD card to be a 16 GB size (only using FAT32). 

Lets see how this goes.

Good luck

Torgeir

• Like 1