Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
Sign in to follow this  
alnavasa

Where to Plug Second Fan Duct

I was thinking on placing to Fans to the Ultimaker Original,

I know its a dumb question, but...

Where do you plug the second fan?

Just to the same plug as the first one?

That means that both fans will run, but, half the speed that the ulticontroll says ?

I am kind of freaking out with this, and I can't find the answer anywhere.

If you put the fans in parallel and the new fan uses the same amount of current you should be fine. The old fan will not run any slower. However the darlington transistor that controls the fans will get more stress. But it should be okay. Read about "series versus parellel circuits" on wikipedia.

If you put the fans in parallel and the new fan uses the same amount of current you should be fine. The old fan will not run any slower. However the darlington transistor that controls the fans will get more stress. But it should be okay. Read about "series versus parellel circuits" on wikipedia.

So it has the same voltage, and some extra amperage, so that it can run the Fan with the same amount of power, and an extra one.

I mean, One fan (GUESSING) uses 5 volts and 200mAh two fans in parallel uses the same voltage but double amperage, that means that the board circuit has the capability to give that double amount of amperage

But they get a little bit warmer

Am I ok?

Ah good - you have an understanding of the electronics. It's not the fans that get too much power, its Q4. Part number is BD679.

Looking at spec sheet...

Vce Max is 2.8V (I need this to know how much power is dissipated) but probably a bit lower. Max power dissipation at 105C is 15 watts. So max current is 15watts/2.8V or 5 amps. But you would need a massive amount of cooling to cool that part to 105C when it is putting out 15 watts. I think you would need a huge heat sink. But there is no heat sink at all on Q4. The part is advertised as a "40 watt" darlington. But again, you would need one hell of a heat sink.

So really, it is undetermined how much current that thing can handle. I would put water on it and if it gets hot enough to boil water within 5 minutes of full fan speed, then it's likely to fail.

It's probably fine. Many people have connected a second fan. And if you break Q4 it is a very cheap and easy part to replace.

So gr5; Here are the two fans I've bought, I think there is no problem with them, but I just wanted to check, They are 12V and 0.16A. Which means that both together consume 12V and 0.32A. The transistor Its for up to 4 Amps (I think I read that somewhere), so there should be no problem right?

They also come with a different plug, but I solder them together and use the original fan plug(from the original fan), put al together with some shrinkable sleeve for the positives, and them for the hole wires.

Clean and nice!

fan two fans