Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
duesentrieb

Almost burned down my workshop...

...and it was NOT the Ultimaker...

I am a little shocked right now. When I came back in my workshop minutes ago, it smelt like fresh burned wood. Closed the window and thought "my neighbour is back and useing his oven, like always." But the smell remained... :???:

While cleaning up my workbench I found this: :shock:

burning hand

It was my HELPING HAND with a little help from the sun. Will call it BURNING HAND from now on...

burned workbench

You can see that the sun moved and created a line. As a child I experimented with a burning glass, you have to get the exact right angle and distance to burn something. So Really bad luck that by accident everything was set up perfectly to burn my workbench... Luckily I found it before something even worse could have happened.

So be careful with helping hands, at least when you have a sunny working space.

Regards,

Philip

These helping hands are set to just the perfect distance from your table...

Why not design a simple round cap that you can clip on the lens when it's not in use? I've seen this for other magnifying glasses before..

I'm just leaving my workshop so I can't take measurements, but it should be a 5 minute design..

@Jonny Bischof: Yes they are... I like the idea of making a simple round cap. Now I know what to do in the evening. I will give my helping hand a blind eye...

@ Yes that was really close... It is warm here for Northern Germany around this time, but could be a little warmer. I will leave my workshop too, to have a small bike ride before it get´s colder in the evening.

Uh, that could have come to a bad end Philip... :eek:

...glad to see you were still in time at home. :-P

Since getting the braising, yes a very precise meaning. Went through the double glazing, or was it just a single pane of glass?

Oh, I have my magnifying glasses put away tonight, and maybe even my reading glasses. :???:

Markus