Cura - multiply objects...Buggy?

mnis

Posted · Cura - multiply objects...Buggy?

Cura - multiply objects.

Small problem with great impact:

A few days ago I have to make myself trusted first experiments with SketchupMake.

I have designed a small retaining clip, with great functionality for my needs. It took some time to learn how to use the software. Once I even deleted my work accidentally irretrievably. The beginning is done. For me it is the very first self-produced object. The clip x8 connects the UM2 with my self-designed aluminum substructure, it creates a sufficiently stable unit. And immediately after the print I kept my work in the hands. After removing the support material and little reworking of the lower face, came joy and wonder. Already on the first try, perfect fit, agree all dimensions, goal achieved.

CoMeDoONE Clip 01

The need for a further 7 objects unfortunately brought to light the following:

I multiplied my retaining clips in Cura, to a group of 6 units. After the G code generation, I then, this group tries to print. At first, everything looked good. But in the end all retaining clips were unusable, because all structural brackets were not associated with its base plate. Also, another experiment with a group of two, resulting in an unusable result.

CoMeDoONE Clip 02

Now I'm not sure:

Is my object incorrectly?

Maybe I just need to with any function, combine all the geometry of my design to an entire object, or something?

Or is it really a Cura error?

CoMeDoONE Clip 00

By the way:

All objects shown are correct, the arrows point to the area that is not connected after the duplication.

Cura can open. "Dae" files, and these can be edited as seemingly. "Stl" files, but there is no standard-shortcut in Windows for this file type. Here the file: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/109895519/!!!%20please%20see%20this%20first%20!!!/My%20first%203D%20objects/CoMeDoOne-Clip.skp

Any ideas / suggestions?

Markus

Hello

I hope so explained one can understand it better:

If I convert this object with Cura to GCode for the single-print, then is everything perfect. If I want to print multiplied, for example, six units at the same time, then apparently everything is printed. But all the lower brackets have no connection to their base plate.

Markus

As a work around, you could try loading the model several times instead of using the multiply function. It isn't obvious to me why it isn't working, but my guess is that the tab is somehow a separate model within the STL, Is there a way for you to check if this is true? If that is the case, then it would seem like you need to find a way to merge the bodies in the STL.

I've totally overlooked the fact that I can load in Cura these "dae" file, as often as I need it, thank you @aviphysics. :-P

I do not know exactly which function I would have to look, but ...

I have discovered a few checkboxes in SketchUpMake, "Automatically check models for Problems", "Automatically fix problems when they are found", but they are already active.

Another CheckBox in the field: "Compatibility - x bounding box only", which I have not tried yet.

Whatever, maybe Cura can with these "dae" files not so good deal and a file converter would be a more possible option for solving the problem described.

Thanks to all.

Markus

Sketchup is quite horrible at generating models. It's awesome at creating holes and extra internal polygons. Which are horrible for 3D printing.

I would actually recommend looking at "DesignSpark mechanical" as an alternative design tool. Should be about as easy to pickup as sketchup, but is build around solid modeling instead of polygon modeling.

Thank Daid, I will "DesignSpark mechanical" definitely try. :cool:

However, it remains a small question mark left:

As a single object I get a seemingly faultless printed object.

But only when using the "Multiply object" function in "Cura" I get useless objects.

How can that be?

By the way:

Can I ". Dae" files somehow associate with Cura?

I can not find an appropriate "cura.exe" file.

Does it perhaps with "phytonw.exe" and additional parameters, or something?

Markus

Thank Daid, I will "DesignSpark mechanical" definitely try. :cool:

However, it remains a small question mark left:

As a single object I get a seemingly faultless printed object.

But only when using the "Multiply object" function in "Cura" I get useless objects.

How can that be?

By the way:

Can I ". Dae" files somehow associate with Cura?

I can not find an appropriate "cura.exe" file.

Does it perhaps with "phytonw.exe" and additional parameters, or something?

Markus

Well, I do not think the multiply feature does it, but maybe the position on the bed slightly effects something? Which is a side-effect of the multiply.

DAE can be associated, you need the following parameters:

"$INSTDIR\python\pythonw.exe" -c "import os; os.chdir(\"$INSTDIR\"); import Cura.cura; Cura.cura.main()" "%1"

(copied from the installer code)

Multiply Objects also seems to be buggy in re. adding and then subtracting objects. I've had 14.03 lock up by simply Multiplying an object, and then deleting some of the added new ones and Multiplying one of the added objects instead of the original.

Do you think the "multiple objects" error so affects all possible object formats?

Markus