Printing bridges (abs)

ascanio

Posted · Printing bridges (abs)

I found theese two videos:

http://www.3dfuture.com.au/2012/01/3d-printing-bridges-across-gaps/

One does a perfect bridge but it doesn't seem to be using abs, second is good as well... I am printing with an UM original (self assembled) and I get "decent" prints as long as I print the next layer right upon a previous one but I get really bad bridging, even really small ones (1cm) so I was looking for a way to improve it...

It seems as they have special bridge-printing techinique while cura doesn't seem to have much. So I thought I should try a new slicer, but the problem is I never ever set up anything for cura (only layer height, speed and temp) so I don't know what all the other parameters actually means...

But I guess there are many of you getting cura to print, at least the smallest, right.

My settings (UM-shop abs):

temp 255

speed from 20 to 40

layer from .1 to .2

Main problem is filamnet doesn't extrude "in the air" but only while touching previous layers.... Any suggestion?

It's a question of cooling. With an UM1 and ONE fan (assuming default position on the left of the print head), you have to orientate the bridge along the y axis to get reasonable results.

I also did http://umforum.ultimaker.com/index.php?/topic/3406-experiments-on-bridging/page-2&do=findComment&comment=26164 a while ago, but only with PLA.

• 1 month later...

The Material seems to be colerfabb XT. A genious material. I like it the most. Give it a try...

The bridging is amazing. I had problems recently with PLA and got better results with reducing the heat. But not compareable with the video.

I will try again with XT.