Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
Sign in to follow this  

Retraction at layers below 1mm

Hi!

Before I post my question I want to contribute with a small tips so I just don't ask question after question.

Make for God's sake sure the model in Cura doesn't hover. I made the first structure of a print 0.5 mm thick which I think made it hover in Cura by 0.5mm. It took my some time and pointless trouble shooting before I saw that.

http://umforum.ultimaker.com/index.php?/gallery/image/5345-photo-2014-05-02-08-21-26/

It prints the squares and the circle first but when moving from sqaure to square the retraction doesn't work properly. So when it starts to infill some places get double and looks a bit ugly.

Any ideas?

Because when bottom plate is done it starts printing some other stuff on top that require retraction but no problem there.

Thanks,

Axel

Look at your expert retraction settings. Try toggling combing whatever it currently is. Also look at the 2 minimums and maybe set those to zero? For example, if the move distance across those squares is 2mm and minimum distance is 3mm then it won't retract as it goes over but this is likely not the issue.

I think what is happening is it was doing a non-retracting-move (a blue line in layer view without the vertical blue line) and was just leaking a bit. With combing it should go around those empty squares (hopefully - not sure if combing does anything on the bottom layer).

So that line across the square hole might have happened during the skirt or brim phase. You might want to rotate the part or something so that the travel doesn't cross that square hole. Or possibly disable brim.