Ultimaker 2 USB remote control while printing from SD Card

Posted · Ultimaker 2 USB remote control while printing from SD Card

So I know Ultimaker 2 currently has unstable USB printing capability, which may or may not be fixed with future firmware updates.

However, I don't want to print via USB for the obvious reasons that the files are on my computer and print commands are constantly being fed to the printer via serial com. This runs the risk of being interrupted and relies heavily on the computer. Hence, why stand-alone printing using SD cards is so popular.

Though one advantage of USB printing is the capability of monitoring the status of the printer, various temperatures, progress, and possibly sending start/stop/speed commands. This, I imagine can be ported to other uses like logging or remote control.

I want to know, is it possible to have monitoring and control communication through USB while it's printing locally from the SD card? Essentially giving me remote control from the computer instead of entering commands and viewing status on the printer itself.

In terms of the firmware, I'm hoping this might just be doing serial.out for status/sensor data (at regular intervals) and monitoring serial inputs from the USB instead of the buttons on the ulticontroller. Though I'm new to this and have no idea how the Marlin firmware behaves in terms of timing and whether the processor has any resources to allocate to this.

EDIT: Oops, this should be in Firmware > Marlin discussions. Can this be moved or should I delete and repost?

The answer is Yes. You can monitor and set temps, extrude filament, move the head around, etc. from Pronterface/Printrun via USB, and start a print from the SD card using the controller.

The answer is Yes. You can monitor and set temps, extrude filament, move the head around, etc. from Pronterface/Printrun via USB, and start a print from the SD card using the controller.

Will octopi work ? i tried connecting it but it cannot find the printer :(

Will octopi work ? i tried connecting it but it cannot find the printer :(

I'm runnig two Ultimaker² with OctoPi 0.8.0 installations. They worked out of the box.

Did you pick the right serial port and baudrate 250000?