Resume long print

Posted · Resume long print

Hi,

I had the first time experience to wake up to see a 25h print job abborted after about 21 hours :(

The printer just decided to be a dick and grind down filament (or the nozzle is clogged).

One half Yoda

I'd like to save this print. How would I go about it? I don't have the layer number where it stopped, but even if I had it, what to do?

Remove the actual print, start a new print with the upper half of the model and glue them together? Ideally I'd like to resume the print like it is. Right now I think I'd need to switch to gcode (not ultigcode) and remove the starting gcode. Then create a new object without the lower part and add a z move command so the bed moves down.

Is this the correct approach?

Thanks.

Im sorry for you :(

Would be cool to use the calibrate bed for this. So that you can move the head over the print and set the height.

But then there is still the problem wich layer to start at. Also you only have one try, if you choose the wrong layer its over.

I think start a new print of the upper half and then glue it is the best way to go.

This way you can print one or two layers more and remove them with a rasp.

Rubber grinding discs like this work awesome to clean up the model after gluing it. I had a blue one once, and it worked great, you couldnt see the line where it was glued afterwards.

http://www3.westfalia.de/shops/werkzeug/bohren/bohrmaschinen_zubehoer/kleinbohrmaschinen_zubehoer_/1148-westfalia-4-tlg-gummi-schleifscheiben-satz-diamant-beschichtet.htm

I would try http://gcode.ws to determine on which layer the print stopped. With the Yoda model at this height, it might be possible to determine even the exact layer when you see then in the viewer and compare it with the print.

The follow-up would be to delete the already printed layers in your UltiGCode file (in a copy of it, actually ;) ) and add some 'G92 Ex.xxxx' command before 'first' layer. If the start procedure of the UM2 is likely to collide with the existing print, you may have to create a RepRap version of the gcode in order to safely control what the printer is doing.

continuing resuming rescuing failed print

First you need to use pronterface to find the exact layer to continue on. Pronterface is here:

http://koti.kapsi.fi/~kliment/printrun/

read all gr5 posts here:

http://umforum.ultimaker.com/index.php?/topic/4213-ideas-for-recovering-failed-prints/?p=34788

post #9 here has specific code change example:

http://umforum.ultimaker.com/index.php?/topic/5269-um%C2%B2-printing-more-than-24-hours-non-stop/?p=46704

Alright, many thanks.

I tried to resume the print, got the layer height right but the base model seems to have shifted over night. I abborted the print quickly and now I am printing only the top half and will try to glue it on.

Well this didn't end well. The top half warped a bit (didn't use brim) and wasn't flush with the rest.

I will weep softly, ditch the print and move on...