Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
Sign in to follow this  
jet3d

Tie Fighter Helmets 3rd scale prints WIP

Hi guys,

I decided to fire up the UM2 after a period of disappointment with damage by supports during printing.

I am not sure where I am going wrong - I am suffering from obvious build lines. No matter who is supplying the PLA. I have tried various temps - print speeds etc.

These three third scale helms all suffer from nasty build lines. I am using CURA 14.04 to generate the Gcode. I'd try another slicer but, to my dismay, the other slicers do not seem to support the UM2. (sweet if you own a UM).

I show these as a work in progress until I nut out the problem. Perhaps I am expecting too much from this type of printer. The printers I have at work cost over a million pounds EACH - no build line but who's got a million pounds for a home setup LOL!

Regards, Jet

JetCooper Tie Helm Photo1

Tie Fighter Helm Jet Cooper.451

Hi Guys,

The black ones are painted and primed with a poor effort of sanding. It's just that I have seen better prints out there from the original UM - much smoother finishes. Some of which are sliced with KiSSlicer.

I printed some of these on the UM2 at a slow 30mm/sec speed and a 0.06 resolution which still resulted in bad build lines.

Frustrating as I printed my Thor Hammer from the Dark World on CURA 12 and it is as smooth as a babies bum. Perhaps it is because the helmets a spherical unlike the hammer?

Is it just the newer versions of CURA?

Regards, Jet

Thanks for your time guys.

I'd try another slicer but, to my dismay, the other slicers do not seem to support the UM2. (sweet if you own a UM).

Actually, you should be able to run KISSlicer, Slic3r and other options just fine on the UM2. You might need to do some extra configuration of the software, but it is supported to run other GCode files then from Cura.

Hi Daid!

Thanks for your comment. Well mate, I am a 3D modeller - not good at tinkering. I'd pay to have someone who knows what they are doing to set up a profile in KiSSlicer for me. Fact is, if I attempted it - I am worried that I'd push the printhead into the heat bed....

I'd either pay or offer to model some gear for someone who knows what they are doing with the UM2 and KiSS.

My modelling might be worth something to someone who either can't model or can't find what they desire?

I Modelled the DB5 in Skyfall plus the Merlin chopper, Thors hammer, Maleficent props, Xmen, heaps of movie props. I can't release them but I can model some gear specifically for someone who can help....

Either way - I'd appreciate a Kiss profile for the UM2?

I haven't used KISSlicer in quite some time now with the UM2 but when I was trying it out this is the setup I used:

http://theintarweb.net/ultimaker/KISSlicer%201.1.0.zip

Here's a couple more details that you should read first:

http://umforum.ultimaker.com/index.php?/topic/3481-ultimaker-2-settings-for-different-slicers/?hl=kisslicer#entry26575

And you should also consider it highly experimental. But at least it could get you started.

Ooor, you could wait and see if someone has a fine tuned profile to share.