Sliding Print Problem with Cura and Printrbot Simple

3dmakeme

Posted · Sliding Print Problem with Cura and Printrbot Simple

Hi Everyone,

I use Cura both on My UM2 and Printrbot Simple.

Recently i tried to print this on my simple :

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:48235/

File : Battery_tray_4x6_AA.stl

And obtained this ;) :

octopi cura Pb

The print seems to slide at some point.

I thought it was a model problem, but it has no holes (the model is water tight) and even Slic3r says it's fine :

https://mega.co.nz/#!HQMWWQoA!APcFhCq8CbZig9csCeFioidHiXUcRxX2dlJsvDapwzQ

I never had this problem, so that puzzles me. Any idea where it could come from?

Thkx

edit by gr5: Fixed middle picture to be viewable without lots of work.

What Illuminarti said. I got a "decryption error" on the last link but the second link worked.

That photo shows a few sudden layer shifts. If the blue tape is running left right then the shift is in the Y axis. However you are better able to decide which axis it was as you may have already removed the part and placed it back on.

Gradual shifts in a single axis are usually rubbing belts but sudden shifts like this and in only one axis are pretty much always a loose pulley. You need to tighten all 6 set screws (SIX! not 4). The most likely problem is the pulley on your motor which is also the hardest to get to and the other set screw on that short belt.

Tighten the hell out of these. And while you are at it consider using a permanent maker to put a tiny dot on the pulley and the rod so that if it shifts again you can see which one shifted.

Is this print (the photo at the second link) made on the printr or the UM? If on the printr then it's the same sort of issue - a hardware pulley or gear or something is slipping.

I never had this problem, so that puzzles me. Any idea where it could come from?

It's most likely a mechanical issue. I've seen this happen before and people really blaming Cura. But, Cura is pressing your printer quite hard, most likely beyond the limits on the default settings.