Ultimaker 2 Feeder

midgard

Posted · Ultimaker 2 Feeder

Hello there,

ist there a official replacemant for the Ultimaker 2 feeder?

In my case, i have to to tighten the screw on the feeder stepper every day. (mostly after a broken print...:-( ), Yesterday it was a 5 Hours print, after 4 1/2 the scres was detached) and that is:

1. Remove the cover in the left UM² corner.

2. hold the stepper with one hand, release the feeder front

3. tighten the screw

4. put stepper and feeder together again and put the filament pipe also in the feeder (without a 2nd person a pain in the a..)

5. put back the cover

All of this is neccessary, because of a little plastic ring on the feeder top, which prohibit, that the shipped imbuss can reach the screw. Not very sophisticated (just my 2 cents)

I know, there ist the replacement from IRobertI, but i don't wan't to disassembly the original one, to use the parts.

With this "bug" the ultimaker² is not very useful for me, because i cannot print long time prints, because of dissolving of the screw.

Nevertheless it would be the best to get another stepper top part, which stay tighten... .

Regards

Mitgard

I have never dissmounted mine so I'm not sure how it looks.

But normally I would expect there to be a pice of flat surface for the screw so that it wont slide on the axis.

Also, if it work fine just after you tighten it but comes lose after a while, maybe due to vibrations.

Then try using a screw locking cement.

If you don't have one then you kan use woodglue or a little paint for nails on the treads.

Just dont use something to strong like cyano glue or epoxie.

Or if bying dedicated locking cement one of the stronger kinds because then you will need heat if you need to remove it.

Maybe you should check the status of the treads as well as normally it should be enough to just tighten firmly.

I have never dissmounted mine so I'm not sure how it looks.

But normally I would expect there to be a pice of flat surface for the screw so that it wont slide on the axis.

Also, if it work fine just after you tighten it but comes lose after a while, maybe due to vibrations.

Then try using a screw locking cement.

If you don't have one then you kan use woodglue or a little paint for nails on the treads.

Just dont use something to strong like cyano glue or epoxie.

Or if bying dedicated locking cement one of the stronger kinds because then you will need heat if you need to remove it.

Maybe you should check the status of the treads as well as normally it should be enough to just tighten firmly.

Yes you're right, there is a a piece of flat on the stepper. but twice a day, it becomes lose. For the next couple of days, i'll bend a small imbuss, to reach the screw in the assembled feeder.

The glue is a solution, i've already tought about. I was thinking about acetone dissoluble superglue. (You can put the stepper upside down in a shotglass for half an hour, then you can lose it. BE AWARE, that the stepper itself stay dry!!!) but i think the woodglue is the better alternative.

I'm quite careful about changing a 2.000 Bucks device, cause of making things worse. In another point of view, i have little bit the opinion, that these kinds of children' diseage should be obliterated on such a "expensive bestseller device", but even the transport mechanism is the error source no. one of the most printers. (totally inapprehensible in my opinion, if you look at such mass of very good community solutions for the different printer systems) but in this case, i can't print a new screw or stepper... . ;)

Alternatively, you could glue 4 x cut lengths of studding into the stepper with thread cement. Pass these through the assembly holes and use Nylock nuts to tighten the feeder mechanism back to the back of the machine. This gives you a strong fixing whilst combating your vibration issues. The Nylock nuts provide you with an easy method of removing the feeder assembly from time to time for maintenance purposes.

Hi,

The screw that get's untightened is the small screw thal holds the sleeve to the feeder motor?

Extract from the building manual:

put the sleeve on the end

of the motor, with the screw

towards the end then screw

this very firmly. Make sure

that the top of the sleve and

the axle are flush.

I'm guessing you could put some blue stuff that makes it less subject to vibrations (sorry i don't know what it's called).

For the feeder, you can print Robert's design you just need an M3 screw of about 25mm all the rest uses the stock materials. And as you already have taken the feeder apart it should not be a problem.

Once installed it would be lot easier to have access to that screw. But normally it should stay in position.

I'm guessing you could put some blue stuff that makes it less subject to vibrations (sorry i don't know what it's called).

Whats this? Do you have a photo? I totally don't know that you mean ;)

There is an official experimental update from Ultimaker, as well as a number of other designs.

Here is GR5's http://umforum.ultimaker.com/index.php?/topic/4393-ultimaker2-feeder-system-improvements-and-ideas/?p=49802

Something like this:

http://www.loctiteproducts.com/p/t_lkr_blue/overview/Loctite-Threadlocker-Blue-242.htm

But as is said it shouldn't move normally, be sure to screw it firmly.

Not 100% sure if this is recommended for this particular screw but it should prevent it from loosening because of vibrations

It's called "thread-locker" and the classic brand is Loc-Tite. Use the medium strength version.