Sign in to follow this  
braddock

how to tighten X, Y axis set screws

Posted · how to tighten X, Y axis set screws

Hi guys, I've had a few issues with layer shift on some of my prints on the Y axis. gr5 suggested tightening my set screws

The two in this photo (rear left corner of the UM2) are next to impossible to get a good position on with the hex wrench, and I think I've rounded out the nut on the top screw trying to do so.

If only you could remove the side panel without the printer falling apart! it looks to me, that the side panel is keeping everything in place?

Just like the extruder feeder on the rear, if you want to take it off for servicing, the feeder motor falls down inside the printer!

Some really frustrating design decisions here. Simple parts and items requiring maintenance should be easily accessible, and not require a full dismantling exercise.

Ybelt 01

Remove the metal cover instead. Just 2 screws.

The grub screws/set screws are not hex I think. I believe they are torx.

edit: correction - Illuminarti says they are hex and I believe him.

Ok, I'll have a look.

We call them Allen Keys here, which i think is the same thing as Torx.

Technically, no. Torx are star-shaped drivers that are close to, but not exactly the right fit for simple hex (Allen key) nuts like these. The set screws on the pulleys are 2mm hex, the same as almost all of the rest of the screws on the printer.

I recommend using a ball head hex screwdriver like these:

http://www.wihatools.com/200seri/264pico.htm#Metric_Ball_End_Pico_Soft_Grip

If you move the sliding blocks around to angle the nuts down at about 45º into the body of the printer, it's actually pretty easy to tighten them with one of those screwdrivers.

For reference, the bearings the mount the bed to the vertical smooth shafts are 2.5mm hex, and the set screw on the extruder knurled sleeve is 1.5mm hex (something else is too, but I forget what - maybe the threaded rod that locates the heater block and stops it rotating??) The side fans are held on with regular philips screws. Everything else on the printer is 2mm hex.

Ok thanks, I'll see if I can find a set of those drivers.

Cheers,

Technically, no. Torx are star-shaped drivers that are close to, but not exactly the right fit for simple hex (Allen key) nuts like these. The set screws on the are 2mm hex, the same as almost all of the rest of the screws on the printer.

I recommend using a ball head hex screwdriver like these:

http://www.wihatools.com/200seri/264pico.htm#Metric_Ball_End_Pico_Soft_Grip

If you move the sliding blocks around to angle the nuts down at about 45º into the body of the printer, it's actually pretty easy to tighten them with one of those screwdrivers.

For reference, the bearings the mount the bed to the vertical smooth shafts are 2.5mm hex, and the set screw on the extruder knurled sleeve is 1.5mm hex (something else is too, but I forget what - maybe the threaded rod that locates the heater block and stops it rotating??) The side fans are held on with regular philips screws. Everything else on the printer is 2mm hex.