Replacing Material

Posted · Replacing Material

Hi,

We have started using an Ultimaker2 and still using the ultimate blue that was sent with the printer.

My question is when the reel runs out what happens?

Does it stop printing and allow you to feed another reel or do you have to restart the print?

Thanks

the printer wont know it runs out... the printer will finish the gcode movements and then park the hotend.

Next morning you will find a half print.

What country do you live in? People will recommend different filaments depending on what country you live in. Please update your profile settings to include it in your "location".

If you install the latest UM2 firmware (comes with latest cura) you can pause a print and change the filament during the pause but I think you have to be careful not to bump the head. Or you can just feed new filament after the old (first disable retraction in the tune menu).

Whenever you start a print, Cura tells you exactly how many meters of filament you will need - always check that you have enough.

Also the UM2 doesn't print as well on the last 1/4 roll of filament as the strong curvature causes extra friction.

"...Also the UM2 doesn't print as well on the last 1/4 roll of filament as the strong curvature causes extra friction."

That is why, if you are in the UK, Faberdashery is a good choice because it is not shipped on a reel and does not suffer the above symptoms that George mentioned.

Sorry to hijack the topic. I'm wondering about the change filament routine.

With Robert's feeder it's easy to change the filament by hand, is there a special technique to change the filament without using the change material from the tune menu.

I've already done this but i'm not 100% of the "safety" of the procedure.

Two possibilities:

1. Change filament during print:

Pause the print (from the menu with the latest firmware installed).

Drop the hotend temperature to X°c (i tried 90°c and it was ok)

Release the pressure in the feeder

Pull the filament by hand.

Push the new filament until you feel it reached the hotend.

Raise the hotend temperature to X°c (210° or 220°c depending on the print settings).

Push the new filament until some comes out.

Put the pressure in the feeder back on

Resume print.

2. Change filament between prints.

I use the move material from the maintenance menu.

Set the temp to x°C

Release the pressure in the feeder

Pull the filament by hand.

Push the new filament until you feel it reached the hotend.

Raise the hotend temperature to x°C.

Put the pressure in the feeder back on

Move the material from the menu until it comes out.

Is this ok? What are the best temperatures to pull the filament out without risking a clog or anything else?

I do this because i prefer to have the control of when the filament is pulled out, i don't like how the feeder turns like hell to pull it out.