UM2-compatible wood filaments/settings

stevegt

Posted · UM2-compatible wood filaments/settings

Hi All,

I noticed some wood filament items (e.g. owls) in the display case at the Bay Area Maker Faire this past weekend, but didn't think to ask anyone there which filament and print settings were used to create them. Does anyone know whether those were colorfabb or laywood, for instance?

I went and ordered some laywood without doing my homework first, but am having second thoughts about even trying that due to some of the clogging comments I'm seeing here. Has anyone *not* had clogging with laywood on a UM2 with standard nozzle?

Steve

Hi,

I just tested the Woodfill fine filament from Colorfabb.

It's great and well suited for the Ultimaker 2. They have a profile for Cura on their website.

It's not laywood, it's a mix between PLA and Wood fibers (pine i think).

Here are a couple of pics of my two first prints (no problem at all):

20140518 204419

20140518 204356

20140518 172831

20140518 172914

From what i've read the laywood needs a 0.8mm nozzle to avoid clogs

stevegt

i had no luck with laywood samples i was given on my um2 even with layer heights of 0.3, so i am waiting for my colourfabbs wood filament to turn up now...

Okay, I've ordered some ColorFabb woodfill fine.

I may hang onto the Laywood until the UM2 dual extruder kit is available -- I like the idea of running that with .4 and .8 nozzles.

friends... I have some laywood waiting for the first try.

what's wrong with it?

on the pictures I see a more realistic wood look with laywood...

The thing with laywood i think is that you need a bigger nozzle. Or you will likely get clogs a lot.

Colorfabb fine wood is targetted to smaller nozzle like on the UM2.

Anyway i had my first clog yesterday with so it's not completely safe, it's a very good product anyway but you need to focus more on the settings and monitor the prints more.

and do you have problems to clean the nozzle?

After 4 times using the atomic method the blocking wood was expulsed through the nozzle.

I printed a Ultimaker robot in PLA after that with no problems then switched back to fine wood did a 2hours print with it then back to PLA for a 1h print with no problems.

I guess that either my clog wasn't a severe one as i was watching the print when it happened so i stopped immediately, or the fact that it contains only 30% of wood makes it easier to unclog?

After 4 times using the atomic method the blocking wood was expulsed through the nozzle.

I printed a Ultimaker robot in PLA after that with no problems then switched back to fine wood did a 2hours print with it then back to PLA for a 1h print with no problems.

I guess that either my clog wasn't a severe one as i was watching the print when it happened so i stopped immediately, or the fact that it contains only 30% of wood makes it easier to unclog?

atomic method? you are scaring me...

I think I am selling my laywood on ebay.... :???:

Search for Atomic method on the forum :) it's named after the member how tried it first it's not so scary it basically involves using filament to get the clog out.

No atomic bombs needed :mrgreen: