Building a New UM2

Posted · Building a New UM2

Hi,

I´m carlos from Portugal, i´m thinking in building my own UM2 since the plans are open source and i have already downloaded from github.

I have a cnc Shapeoko 2 so i can cut the frames with it.

I have looking in ebay and other shop sites looking for some electronic parts but is very hard to find. For exemple i can´t find the main board anywhere!can i use the board from UM1 or from other brand?

I have also a few doubts in choosing the material to make the frame, the original UM2 come with 6mm dibond but is also very hard to find.

If anyone have the same project in hands can share the experience pls

Thanks,

I have some experience in building the UM2.

First off, the dibond. Forget about it. Use something else. It's actually not great to work with, hard to get, scratches easy during assembly, and expensive.

As for the electronics, any RepRap electronics will work. We're not selling lose boards yet, as it's hard to keep up with production on those just for the UM2. You might want to do some modifications for the LCD controller, as the OLED display is one of the most difficult parts to source (we had to buy a whole lot of them at once)

The electronics from RepRapDiscount could be used for example, he sells both main boards and controllers.

And what do you recommend for the frame?i don´t really want make it with plywood, im searching in others materials.

i´m from europe so i will try to buy here because of the taxes from US is too expensive:( do you recommend a shop in europe like reprapdiscount?

Thanks for your help

For the electronic i am looking a kit like this: SunFounder Mega 2560 + Ultimaker 1.5.7 + A4988 3D Printer Kit. I don't know if is the best option but is easy to find, if you have other suggestion please tell me.

Plywood works very well but you could use a laser cutter to make it in acrylic:

http://umforum.ultimaker.com/index.php?/topic/275-acrylic-ultimaker/

I recommend you do the UM1 plans because that way you can make the head, ulticontroller, blocks, feeder all out of the same plywood (or acrylic or whatever). The print bed too.

The UM1 is basically just as good as the UM2 except the electronics are probably more reliable on UM2 but you can't get that. Also the UM2 is quieter due to dibond. Also UM2 has LED lights (you can add those) and the UM2 has a heated bed (also easy upgrade to UM1).

Ok thanks, i thinking to drop the ideia of making a UM2 and start to making a UM1 instead, i´m study what materials i could use for the frames instead the plywood, i have a CNC so i can cut this parts, i´m thinking in aluminum but maybe is too heavy and expensive to do that, i don´t really like the acrylic... I have found most of the mechanical and electrical parts in aliexpress, but i´m a little afraid about Chinese material...

Any ideas for other materials?

Trespa. It looks great, very sturdy.

Disadvantage is that it is quite heavy, and that it will wear your milling bits.

No idea on the availability.

Trespa. It looks great, very sturdy.

Disadvantage is that it is quite heavy, and that it will wear your milling bits.

No idea on the availability.

Do you know which Trespa you saw/used? There is an outdoor (called Meteon) and an indoor (called Virtuon) product.

Do you know which Trespa you saw/used? There is an outdoor (called Meteon) and an indoor (called Virtuon) product.

Uhm, no, not really. Guess it's the indoor stuff.

(We have 4 of these at the office, they work awesome. But they are very heavy compared to normal originals. And we're not actually allowed to show them to prevent false expectations)

Heavy is good in terms of vibrations. So you milled it? I think you or Nallath mentioned it cannot be laser cut. What about water jet cutting?

These where milled. With the T-Slots only half deep, so it looks awesome like the UM2. And the platform is crazy sturdy.

No idea about water jet cutting. I think the normal way is milling. After all, it sort of is wood.

I got information from the Swiss importer of Trespa that 6mm Trespa Virtuon can be laser cut.

I got information from the Swiss importer of Trespa that 6mm Trespa Virtuon can be laser cut.

So can steel. Important bit of information is what strength laser you would need.

Ok thanks for the info, do you know where i can i find it in europe?

i have seen various stores but almost all of them sell only large panels >3000mm and my CNC have only 750mm so i have two options, i try with the aluminium or try to find Trepsa with smaller dimensions.