Monthly challenge?

anon4321

Posted · Monthly challenge?

Yeah, the current "rules" are simply to organize the challenges; I also agree it will be very interesting to see what people end up doing to generate a really snazzy looking print. Very excited already to see the number of people interested!!

Thanks guys!

• Replies 65
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Please write down your used settings.

It would be nice, if you could make some screen shots of your used software (eg. for support or from the slicer).

Some pictures while printing and of the printed object without cleaning it up, would be nice, too.

Is it alowed to finish the bracelet (with primer and/or paint)?

i guess it's allowed as long as you also post pics of the print before painting?

Sure, you are right. :)

My background are rendering contests, where you have to deliver one (and only one) final picture.

Is it alowed to finish the bracelet (with primer and/or paint)?

from my point of view this is a printing challenge not a finishing challenge. So finishing should be not allowed, as paint (or anything else) could cover some problematic areas and make the print look better than it actually came off the printbed. Removing support and some slightly abrasive work like filing and/or sanding should be the maximum of finishing.

My initial thought was to use this as a way to transfer printing experience to those new people like me. The intention is highlight different techniques for getting the best print so that finishing is minimal.

Might be interesting to see pictures of it coming of the bed, for brims,rafts support etc.

and different stages of cleaning as well. I don't mind looking at a polished or painted one, but don't judge it on that.

Would be nice to know witch slicer and/or version is used...

Someone might find a convenient place to drop the winning Gcode to give it a try ourselves?

Personally I will cast my vote as a function of the quality of the original print and the supplemental documentation that describes how the print was performed. Like anon4321 mentioned, the intent of the challenge is to highlight different printing schemes to help others get some perspective on what a quality print should look like and how to optimize their own settings to get good prints. That being said, I certainly won't disqualify anyone for painting their print or anything like that; but don't expect a really good paint job to weigh more heavily than a well documented post.

I have some interest in the post-print processing. But more of the type of processing someone might do to create a special effect or finish and NOT the kind that "fixes" a print beyond support/raft removal and light sanding.

For example, if someone had the bronze fill stuff, I'd like to see how it was finished after printing.

However, my original intent was to learn how to control various things to get the best print right off the platform or just after breaking off the support.

Oeps,

challenge 1, creating a good support. in Cura it forgets 2mm. strange......

Knipselweird

Not only in the view but in real life also.

A potential example of why this competition could be useful!

I was able to generate support through the entire model:

MQ0qboB.png

So, the challenge has already been started?

It won't officially start until the first of next month which is Monday, but I'll set it up on early Sunday U.S. time and post a link in this topic to July's Monthly Print Challenge thread with all the votes and links and stuff. But feel fee to start whenever, the more practice you have now the better the prints will be :mrgreen:!!

*Also, I just did the Cura slicing of the file to make sure it wasn't a dud or something, and that it would properly slice. I don't intend on printing until Sunday, but it's just because of prior obligations.

Vote for august prints:

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:44579

Pre-assembled prints are cool!

Hey guys here is the link the the July MPC thread:

http://umforum.ultimaker.com/index.php?/topic/6315-monthly-print-challenge-mpc-july/

You'll have to excuse me while I start testing my print strategy ideas :p.

And here I am, thinking I would just load it in cura and hit print xD