Moisture in filamant?

kaybie

Posted · Moisture in filamant?

Hi Guys,

At some point I hope to be able to answer as many questions as I ask :).

I have just switched back to an ABS spool that I last used around 3 weeks ago, it has been stored in zip locked back with a bag of siica gel in a cupboard in a heated room.

Last time I printed with this filament I tweaked the settings to get it to where I liked it and it printed well. This time I get burn marks in certain areas of the print. Listening to the print in progress I do hear a popping from time to time and I suspect that I may have moisture in my filament.

Looking at the prints - would you agree or would you say that it is likely to be something else?

I did read a thread about storing filament and some folk advising a few options - I think for the ABS I may get some airtight tubs also and put the zip lock back into the tub along with a few more bags of silica.

If it is moisture - should I remove the filament and chuck it in the trash? Stick it in a tub with a hundred bags of silica gel? Bake it? Seems a shame to waste it as I actually like the way this filiament prints otherwise.

Thanks in advance

Kaybie

ABS print with burn marksABS print with burn marks

Hi,

If filament with very high moisture gets into the heating chamber, then evaporates it very quickly and you can hear it crackle near the HotEnd. But I do not think the moisture such combustion residues generated in the ABS.

I suspect there are small crumbs from the previous PLA Filament (Residues in Bowden). ABS is usually printed with higher temperatures, which could be too hot for PLA residues. PLA can withstand high temperatures only at high print speeds, I think.

Markus

Nylon sucks in moisture amazingly. When you print it you hear a constant crackle. It creates thousands of tiny holes which refract light and make clear nylon look cloudy. It does *not* make black spots. Those black spots are something different. I don't know that ABS absorbs much moisture.

I'm not sure what made the popping sound. Maybe you had a partial clog of some sort where pressure built up.

The feeder on the UM2 is made of black ABS and pieces of it can move along the bowden and come out into your print. Also ABS is very sensitive to overheating - I recommend 245C for ABS for beginners. I am also an ABS beginner - but I have read about 10,000 posts on this forum so I know a little. ABS will turn brown or black if heated a long time or high temp. I suspect 240C at 4 hours is plenty but not sure exactly.