No G-code/slicing in Cura 14.05RC4 (or 14.03 release...)

joatrash

Posted · No G-code/slicing in Cura 14.05RC4 (or 14.03 release...)

Hey guys,

Been using 140.01 since I bought my machine back in Feb. Just installed 14.03 but it refuses to slice. Same thing with 14.05RC4. I can load the model but then nothing. Have tried different models.

14.01 continues to work fine but I'd like to experiment with the increased options in the newer verions.

Also... it seems that if I load different models Cura now "pushes them out of the way" and does not allow separate models to be close to one another on the platform! 14.01 did this too, but not nearly as much.

pushes them out of the way"

You can disable this by going to "tools" and choosing "print all at once".

Don't know why you can't slice. Try .4mm layers just for kicks to see if that helps as it slices much faster when layers are thicker. There is a log file somewhere that might show what the problem is.

Bumping solved, thanks. (Never had the "singles" active before.)

But it still refuses to slice... the button is simply greyed out. If I switch to 0.2mm the button is no longer greyed out but it still doesn't slice... just says 0 hours. The program doesn't lock up or anything...

Also, I don't know if this is relevant or not, but if I load Gcode generated by 14.01 it doesn't display properly...

Between 14.01 and 14.03 the communication with the backend changed from a hacked up pipes solution to sockets. This potentially means that some extreme firewalls might block Cura from functioning correctly.

There is also an output.txt in the Cura installation directory, this file might provide some more insights.

Aha... that may be it then. I routinely block program access to the internet, sometimes without even thinking about it. The only things I allow access to are things that actually MUST have access (like browsers).

Why would Cura need firewall access just to calculate g-code?

Why would Cura need firewall access just to calculate g-code?

It's using a local TCP socket to communicate between the front and backend. This socket is local only and cannot access or be accessed from the internet.

(There are more ways to communicate between front and backend. But this was the most cross platform compatible way)

The older 14.01 release used temp-files, which caused slowdowns on slow harddisks, as well as a lot of harddrive trashing.

OK, can you tell me what file(s) besides "curaengine.exe" that needs access? Can't seem to find the right one in my block list...

Thanks!

python.exe