Advice request: Selecting PSU for UM1 heated bed (self built)

Posted · Advice request: Selecting PSU for UM1 heated bed (self built)

Jonny, that is a good point. I would NEVER use it unattended and I would stress test it but putting it FULL ON and see what happens.

Also a good point about the firmware. I'm wondering how hard it would be to add a safety measure to the firmware code that if 100% power is being supplied and the temp doesn't change over the period of say a minute, the firmware aborts and powers off

@Drayson

I am using aluminium clad resistors. They are 2.2 Ohm 50Watt. I have made 2 parallel strings of 3 resistors in series. I use a 200W 24 power supply which I increased to about 26V. This gives me about 200W to my aluminium bed. It heats up slowly since the aluminium is 6mm thick (but it is flat). It takes about 5 min to 60 degrees and 25 minutes to get to 130 degrees (10 degrees loss if you use a glass plate). I would like also to heat it a bit quicker but I would have to buy a bigger power brick. Since it is working and given the fact that it does not heat-up so quickly it is also fairly safe. You can look on my website for fotos and the electronics I used.

http://www.modelbouwensport.nl/3DPrinter/HeatedBuildPlatform.html

Thank you for this information. Also a great solution.

Any others to share their builts/experiances :-)

I think I will redesign the whole thing as soon I have time/money instead of possibly fry my current setup. New pad, new PSU.

Good thing: could built a heater case for my LiPo's with the "old" components :-)

Good thing: could built a heater case for my LiPo's with the "old" components :smile:

Sounds like you're into Airsoft?

I've always had the problem that the most interesting games (winter games with snow) would kill my LiPos...

Don't mention it... Crashed a T-Rex 450 three weeks ago :( (Luckily, not mine.. It was my brother's. And it was of course him who crashed it :p)

:-) yesterday, my mcpx crashed, so will get new landing skits today afternoon.

My rex450 is well as I'm mostly in hoovering mode and my 600 is out of order since nearly 2 years :-(