Rough curved surface

Posted · Rough curved surface

Hi, I have noticed that my Ultimaker Original seems to have a rough print quality when printing curved surfaces lately. I have tried lowering the print speed to 70mm/s but it did not help. The filament diameter seems to be pretty consistent, 2.86mm +/- 0.02mm.

Please refer to the photo below, the issue is especially obvious when printing the horse legs:

Rough Curved Surfaces

I have printed with 0.1 layer height as well, and had the same issue. Thanks for any tips.

First thing to check is the layer view in Cura. If you see the steps there too it's a slicing issue and you probably use Cura 14.03.

If you say lowering speed to 70mm/s, what speed have you printed normally and at what layer height. If it is 0.2mm or even higher at speed 70mm/s then I would strongly recommend to lower the speed significantly as fluctuations in the flow are more likely at such high material flow (e.g. 0.2mm (layer height) x 0.4mm (nozzle size) * 70mm/s =5.6mm^3/s is rather high).

It seems to me you try to print some kind of four legged animal with standard Cura support. If you haven't yet, you may try Meshmixer support; you'll have much less troubles with removing the support and will need lesse material.

Try a newer version of Cura - a bug that causes surface bumps was recently introduced that is fixed once again here:

http://software.ultimaker.com/Cura_closed_beta/

Also 70mm/sec is fine for very large parts with long smooth moves, but with small tight curves like this you will improve quality quite a bit at 30mm/sec. Or even 20mm/sec. This is because the extruder isn't constantly speeding up and slowing down as it will never go below 10mm/sec (3 to 1 speed change ratio versus 7 to 1).

Thanks guys, I have installed Cura 14.06, and reduced the print speed as well. I will try to print again later.

I was printing at 0.2mm at 70mm/s, so what is the reasonable flow rate for UM1?

@ Dim3nsioneer, yes, it's a 4 legged horse:) I am using the lines support now instead of grid, but I will give Meshmixer support a try as well. Thanks.

New Cura and lower speed definitely improved the print quality a lot on the curved surface! Thanks guys!