Filament doesn´t get "sucked" in.

Posted · Filament doesn´t get "sucked" in.

HI everyone,

it has been a while since my last post and after i got my spare parts things went well.

I printed some small things pretty well.

Now i wanted to print a bigger thing. It started well but after 3 or 4 hours the filament just stops to flow through the nozzle.

I print white innofil PLA on 220° C.

The troubleshooting i tried by myself:

-Heating up the printer and forcing bigger amounts of filament through by hand and extruder motor.

-Exchanging the Nozzle

-Printing with 210/225* C

I also found out that in first place my extruder motor, but the other motors as well get extremly hot, the x/y motors not that hot but the extruder motor makes a PLA-Strip soft while touching.

My questions are:

Did anyone have a similar problem and/or knows a solution?

Is there any way to improve the force the feeder "grabs" the filament?

Could it be the filament quality?

---> Pictures in the first comment

Motors should be fine - they can get very hot but they can handle quite high heat.

Is this a UM Original? Or UM2?

Your photos definitely show underextrusion.

This may be normal at the printing volume you are at. What is the printing speed in mm/sec and what is your layer height? Multiply those 2 numbers plus the nozzle diameter (.4mm) to get the total volume in mm^3/sec.

At 205C you should be able to safely get around 1mm^3/sec no problem.

At 230C you should be able to safely get around 4mm^3/sec no problem.

For some reason the same thing is happening with my Ultimaker 1 at the moment. I printed hundreds of hours without problems on 220°C with PLA. Today I was that frustrated that I tried 240°C with PLA. The extrusion works just fine again.

Maybe this has to do with high room temperatures? (it was pretty warm the last days. but actually not today :???: )

1. You can adjust the pressure from the extruder gear (but there shouldn't be much required)
    2. Clean your tube
    3. Clean the extruder
    4. Cut of damaged filament

If you have grinding spots inside your filament try to increase the temperature. Usually not necessary but check out the result.

Hi guys,

thanks for the advice so far but it just gets worse till now,

as i said i already exchanged the nozzle and tested the extruder grip and so on.

I come close to the fact that something in the hot end gets in my way of the printing like there is something in the aluminum part / the tube in that thing.

How can I clean that stuff?

I tried:

http://www.fablab-regensburg.de/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/Ultimaker-2-Nozzle.pdf

But that made it more difficult - before I did anything i got this problem after an estimated 3 or 4hours now i get it during the first layer. =(

Any help?