Help temperature error

qmaker

Posted · Help temperature error

I have been printing with great success lately, and then.......

My machine stopped working and the LED screen says temperature error contact ultimaker support.

I will be contacting support, but until I hear back I am anxiously wondering what has happened. I shut it down and restarted. It seemed to start working and then slightly after starting a the print the same error occurred.

Thanks in advance,

Q

The error indicates a problem with reading the temperature sensor properly; it seems to be an intermittent problem, given that a reset sometimes fixes it. Does the error message mention the heated bed? If not, it's a problem with the head sensor.

The first thing to do would be to remove the cover over the electronics board, and check that the sensor is properly connected to the electronics board. The cover is held on with two screws that go through the bottom of the printer, and into lock nuts. The head connects to the 'temp 1' connection, the bed goes to 'temp 3'.

Where are you located?

I am in Colorado. I will take the cover off as you suggest and see if somehow the connections came loose. When I first received the machine, the screen wouldn't work and it turned out to be a cable was disconnected.

I will post more when I have a chance.

Illuminarti,

There is one cable that is not hooked up to anything. Is this supposed to be that way? One red wire and one brown wire.

you can see it in the photo.

The connection on temp 3 seems loose, but it doesn't seem to clip on any tighter

I still don't think I attached the photo the right way. I need to go back and review how you said to do it. I apologize in advance if I have uploaded the photo in the wrong place or wrong way.

board

The disconnected cable is supposed to be that way.

Let us know how the printer behaves now that you've wiggled the wires. Hopefully that's fixed it.

Just curious, what is the disconnected cable coming from or going to? Is it for future use or upgrades?

The error will likely come back if you didn't tighten anything and found nothing loose.

You didn't answer Illuminarti's question about whether or not the word "bed" was included in the temp sensor error message so if you get the error again check that carefully.

Also please update your profile settings to mention that you live in Colorado. You can get now potentially get faster customer service if you live in USA so it's important to note that.

Just curious, what is the disconnected cable coming from or going to? Is it for future use or upgrades?

See this picture that shows the other end of the brow/red wire:

http://umforum.ultimaker.com/index.php?/topic/3424-got-my-ultimaker2but/?p=25997

Thanks for the link to the picture of the other end. The error message did not say specifically anything about the bed or the head. Simply Temperature error contact Ultimaker.com

I will update my profile to reflect my location.

The connections certainly weren't falling off loose, but didn't feel like they were fully seated. I did push them firmly back on, and will have to wait and see if it comes back.

The temp sensor error seems to keep raising its head. I contacted Ultimaker support. The suggestion is to order the new

Sensor cable

You can find it in our shop via this link: https://www.ultimaker.com/products/um2-parts-pt100-b-sensor

I will order and replace that and hope that it corrects my condition. I will update the post after I have done it just to let everyone know.

Has anyone else had this issue and replaced the wire? Any tips suggestions or how to's?

Thanks

So I am still messing around trying to get things working. It seems like the sensor cable is the right way to go, but before I order one I just wanted to ask everyone a few more questions.

It seems that the default temps setup for my files when printing PLA are 210 nozzle temp and 75 bed temp.

This seems like too hot for the bed temp, so I find myself tuning and setting it back down to around 60. (Not sure if this is a good idea or not, I just found that it worked well on several of my prints)

However, when I then scroll up to temperature to see what the nozzle temp is it is at 0 until I dial in a temperature.

Does that mean whenever I hit the tune button the temps set to 0? If I wouldn't have hit tune would it automatically heat to 210?

When it does begin to prepare to print and it extrudes material all seems normal then it goes over to the print location, doesn't stick and begins to gum up under the nozzle. At this point I usually abort the print. By the time the head returns to the home location the gummed up PLA is hard and the tip hardly seems hot.

Anyway, I just thought I would share this to make sure I am headed down the right path with the sensor wires.

Thanks

When you go into TUNE menu you kind of have a contract with the machine that you won't exit until it's time to start printing.

It's bad to leave the head hot for 5 minutes without extruding so Marlin has a feature that it turns on the bed first and doesn't turn on the nozzle until the temp gets "close". What happened is you entered the TUNE menu before the bed temp was "close". No big deal. It just means you have to wait until everything is up to temp before exiting the TUNE menu.

Thanks gr5 that makes sense.