incomplete start wizard

kabanda

Posted · incomplete start wizard

I received my UM2 with spool holder missing. so i decided to do all the start wizard steps until the step where i have to thread the filament with the idea that when the spool holder gets sent i will continue from there. so i switched off the machine at that stage.

In order to 'rehearse' the 'resume' plan i switched the machine on again only to find that it had rewound the wizard from the start as if i had not completed any start wizard steps!

I do not want to redo calibration when the spool holder arrives, is it safe to just press 'CONTINUE' at each step i already completed until i reach the step i want to continue from or will the bed leveling etc be thrown off?

Go through all the steps again. It doesn't take long and getting the bed perfectly level is a very good thing. And going through the process of leveling the print bed is something that you will likely have to do once or twice in the future as well. After you've done it a couple of times you'll complete the process in less than a minute. It's like tuning an instrument or re-tightening screws on a tool, it's just part of the deal.

But I wouldn't be able to wait for the holder personally so I would bodge something together to hold the spool in the mean time. A broom handle over a couple of boxes for example :)

you don't need to wait for the spool holder, just put the spool on the floor behind the printer and let out a few coils. When you turn it back on choose Material > Change. It will heat up and then you will hear the printer run through the process of reversing out the filament it thinks is in there. When the sound stops press continue and then load the filament.

The spool holder causes more problems than it's worth anyway. Just put the filament on the floor behind the printer, and unwind some coils so they hang in mid air for the printer to eat. Some kind of 'lazy susan' kitchen turntable will help, but isn't essential.

Thanks all for your suggestions, I will try some this evening when I get back.