Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
Sign in to follow this  
aviphysics

Filament dispenser/storage chamber completed... mostly

Made a nifty chamber for my filament that can dispense it and keep it relatively dry.

It isn't quite perfect yet. I need to find a good material to improve the seal around the door. Right now I have just run a piece of tape around the door. I initially tried weather stripping, but didn't get any better results than using nothing. I also need to find a better latch.

Step 2 is to make something to go around the filament feeder, thus providing total containment until it gets to the hot end.

lZgKtSu.jpg

HCVXkge.jpg

Cong8OD.jpg

Maybe you can get a tight seal if you use magnets instead of hinges. Not a door, but a panel that you can remove by pulling it off. Then make a rubber ring all around the edges of the panel (maybe print with flex PLA?).

I'm going to try something like that with my Black Edition frame.

/edit:

By the way: Wood isn't exactly watertight. Humidity could be able to pass through it. I'm not an expert on that, though...

/edit2:

You could solve that problem easily by painting the wood...

The inside of the box is heavily lacquered to prevent moisture seeping in from the wood.

Making a seal with flex pla is an interesting idea, though I wonder if the flex pla would make a good moisture barrier and how it would stand up to low humidity levels.

I thing hinges and latches is the way to go. With magnets, the force holding the door on would be maybe 10-20 lb, but with the right latches it could be a hundred or more.

I thing hinges and latches is the way to go. With magnets, the force holding the door on would be maybe 10-20 lb, but with the right latches it could be a hundred or more.

True, true...

The best thing to do would probably be to make it like the door of a washing machine. With flex PLA, you could easily print a large, custom fit, seal. But I don't know how it will fare against low humidity. Maybe put oil on the seal?