Filament dispenser/storage chamber completed... mostly

Posted · Filament dispenser/storage chamber completed... mostly

Made a nifty chamber for my filament that can dispense it and keep it relatively dry.

It isn't quite perfect yet. I need to find a good material to improve the seal around the door. Right now I have just run a piece of tape around the door. I initially tried weather stripping, but didn't get any better results than using nothing. I also need to find a better latch.

Step 2 is to make something to go around the filament feeder, thus providing total containment until it gets to the hot end.

lZgKtSu.jpg

HCVXkge.jpg

Cong8OD.jpg

That would be good for nylon! Nylon seems to absorb water very quickly and it doesn't print quite as well when it does. I can hear the water sizzling as I print nylon.

Maybe you can get a tight seal if you use magnets instead of hinges. Not a door, but a panel that you can remove by pulling it off. Then make a rubber ring all around the edges of the panel (maybe print with flex PLA?).

I'm going to try something like that with my Black Edition frame.

/edit:

By the way: Wood isn't exactly watertight. Humidity could be able to pass through it. I'm not an expert on that, though...

/edit2:

You could solve that problem easily by painting the wood...

The inside of the box is heavily lacquered to prevent moisture seeping in from the wood.

Making a seal with flex pla is an interesting idea, though I wonder if the flex pla would make a good moisture barrier and how it would stand up to low humidity levels.

I thing hinges and latches is the way to go. With magnets, the force holding the door on would be maybe 10-20 lb, but with the right latches it could be a hundred or more.

I thing hinges and latches is the way to go. With magnets, the force holding the door on would be maybe 10-20 lb, but with the right latches it could be a hundred or more.

True, true...

The best thing to do would probably be to make it like the door of a washing machine. With flex PLA, you could easily print a large, custom fit, seal. But I don't know how it will fare against low humidity. Maybe put oil on the seal?

It occurs to me that the door really doesn't need to be opened and closed that often. Something with screws and wingnuts might be a great way to secure the door.