Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
Sign in to follow this  
mr_larson

Extruder noise between two print areas

Hello,

Yesterday, during a print, I heard a 'bad' noise while the print head went from one printing area to another one (extrusion hole).

Extruder Noise

This sounds like mechanical and strident, and corresponds to something I never noticed before. It seems that the sping inside the print head is squeezed (is it normal?) and generates this painful sound.

Some remarks:

1) this happened during a print without any manipulation in-between (I changed the filament two prints earlier);

2) I only use PLA and standards settings;

3) this never happened before;

4) my print, when finished, was perfect.

Do you have an idea of what's happening here? Is it 'normal'? Is there a maintenance action to solve this?

Thanks a lot in advance for your help.

PS: sorry in case I committed mistakes or if my English is laborious as I'm not an English native (Belgian french speaking).

Are you sure the sound is coming from the print head? I know this kind of sound from the feeder.

If it's from the feeder, than there is no real problem. Some friction between the filament and the case of the feeder. That will stop after some time.

In case that it is really the print head:

Could you post a video with a closeup of the print head from the side while printing? (to see the movement of the spring)

The sound is coming in-between the two objects, bec. at this time the filament is retracted by the feeder.

I agree with Conz, I'm pretty sure that sound is coming from the feeder during retraction. What's happening is that due to a bit of an unfortunate design choice the filament grinds down a particular wall inside the feeder since the filament is coming in at an angle. This makes a pretty loud squeaky noise during the fast retraction movement but it will go away fairly quickly. If you find it too annoying you could consider relocating the spool to directly underneath the printer so that the filament enters more straight into the feeder.

Hi,

You were all totally right. The noise comes effectively out from the feeder due to a friction of the filament on the feeder body.

Feeder Noise

I will now try and find a way to move the filament, in order to make it enter the feeder the most perpendicular possible.

Sorry for having raised a wrong issue... But anyway thanks a lot for your help, I really appreciate your promptness and support.