Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
Sign in to follow this  
zews

Adjustable/flexible filament spool to fit Ultimaker 2

I just received my first order of filament from Faberdashery. What I did not expect, was that I would receive the filament without spools. Although of course it makes a lot of sense, because it probably saves quite a bit in shipping costs over time.

The filament coils that Faberdashery sent me have a much larger diameter than the sample coil of filament that is on the spool that Ultimaker sent me. When I hold the coils against the back of the printer, centered around the filament spool spindle, the coils just barely clear the power cable. It is probably not a good idea to try and force this filament onto smaller empty spools (if I can find empty spools), because it is rather rigid, and I would most likely damage the filament trying to force it into a smaller diameter.

So I have a feeling that I now need to print myself some flexible and/or adjustable filament holder(s) specifically for these filament coils that will fit on the UM2 spindle. I have seen some on YouMagine and Thingiverse, but none that I could find seemed ideal for the UM2. Would anyone have a suggestion for a particular printable filament holder that would work well with the Faberdashery filament and the UM2?

I don't know the exact size but there are a number of spool designs on Thingiverse, Youmagine etc. and this one https://www.youmagine.com/designs/loose-filament-holder-v1 claims to be sized for the Ultimaker in particular.

On the other hand, some people recommend not using a spool at all, leaving the filament loose and letting it unspool from the floor; that way there is no drag from spool hub friction which could cause under-extrusion or other problems.

First of all - the larger diameter is a good thing! Not a bad. I wish I could get other filaments with larger diameter - I have a bit of trouble printing the last bit of filament because the radius of curvature is too tight and I get underextrusion. I only print the last 1/4 of the spool on my UM Original.

So spend $10 and get one of these turntables aka lazy susan - it's what I use for unspooled filament and it works great. You put it on the floor and it actually rotates as the filament is sucked up into the feeder.

2303-2936-2937-white-large.jpg