Cura 14.03 doesnt want to export a part of my object

sardi

Posted · Cura 14.03 doesnt want to export a part of my object

Hi guys. A couple of weeks a go I started using Cura along with Slic3r, and have now come across a problem with one of my objects.

This is how my model looks in Blender

cura_blender.jpg

Netfabb also says everything is ok

netfabb1.jpg

But in Cura -> Expert config -> Fix horrible everything unchecked

netfabb_cura.jpg

Cura -> Expert config -> Fix horrible -> Combine everything Type B

netfabb_cura2.jpg

So as it turns out, I can have one or the other, but not both.

I must also say that the object without bar gets exported to g-code without problems (fix everything -> Type A checked), its when I add the bar that the problems occur.

Have tried many solutions, re-designed the object, re-checked it in Netfabb, repaired it manually/automaticaly, have tried every option in Expert -> Fix everything, but without results.

I am not even sure if its Curas fault/bug, but I need to check.

Kind regards,

Antonio

The wall is probably too thin for Cura to slice. Try making your "shell" thickness in Cura much smaller as a test. If you are using .4mm try .39, .38, .37. Try .3, try .2, try .1. See what happens.

You probably don't want any of the "fix horrible" boxes checked. They usually only should be checked if the model isn't manifold. You can test this in the "xray view" and if you see any red areas in your model then you either need to fix it or use the "fix horrible" settings. Red areas indicate an internal wall or a hole in a wall.

However I don't think this is related to your issues - I think it's just too thin to slice.

If you have a .4mm nozzle and .35mm slices nicely it will probably print fine. You can go down to 75% nozzle width without too much trouble. Or you could go back to blender and thicken your part.

Hi gr5, my nozzle is 0.5mm and layer height 0.25mm.

Shell thicknes 1.0 and 0.5 produce this

netfabb_cura.jpg

With shell thickness 0.9mm and everything in Expert -> Fix horrible UNchecked

cura_09.jpg

Now, I can live with the empty space in the middle of the bar, its not that important. While making the bar, I made it 0.25x0.25, maybe that is what is causing Cura not to fill it all the way?

While making the bar, I made it 0.25x0.25

I think you mean 2.5mm.

With shell thickness 0.9mm

What is the nozzle diameter? .9mm seems very large!

Can you send me your STL file? Can you post it somewhere on the internet? Maybe dropbox or something? And post a link to it?

I think you mean 2.5mm.

Yes, you got that right 2.5mm ;)

What is the nozzle diameter? .9mm seems very large!

Nozzle diameter is 0.5mm.

Can you send me your STL file? Can you post it somewhere on the internet? Maybe dropbox or something? And post a link to it?

Here you go ;)

http://sardidj.com/ormerod/cura/Object.stl

Now, I can live with the empty space in the middle of the bar, its not that important. While making the bar, I made it 0.25x0.25, maybe that is what is causing Cura not to fill it all the way?

Maybe it is filling it? did you scroll down to those layers? By default Cura only shows infill for the top viewing layers.

Maybe it is filling it? did you scroll down to those layers? By default Cura only shows infill for the top viewing layers.

I checked that, its empty in the middle for sure ;)

cura_slice.jpg

Hi,

I think it's a geometry issue, the other end of the bar is not touching outer wall, but other end is connected. I think Cura mistakes it as a loop of outer perimeter and not seeing it correctly.

Can you post and link your BLEND-file? I would like to experiment with it.

Jukka

Actually it seems that it's nozzle size 0,5mm whitch gives issues. With 0,4mm nozzle size part slices with no problem. You should just make part thicker for nozzle to fit.

Jukka