Atomic Method for various Materials

Dim3nsioneer

Posted · Atomic Method for various Materials

For some time I'm quite a fan of the atomic method for getting a clean nozzle. This method is named after http://umforum.ultimaker.com/index.php?/user/7232-mostlyatomicbob/who described the method for the first time http://umforum.ultimaker.com/index.php?/topic/3561-ultimaker-2-extruder-nozzle-blocked/&do=findComment&comment=28940.

It is well known in the meantime that for PLA one has to pull at 90°C. However, I tried the method with some other materials - and failed.

I would like to open this thread for collecting experience by all of you with this method, especially for other materials such as ABS, PETG, Nylon, ...

Other knowledge such as typical temperatures which have to be reached before the filament is cooled down and pulled out is also highly welcome.

There is a very complete post on this somewhere on the internet. I found it while not studying late at night for my exams this week. Can't seem to find it now :(

The author described how he cleaned his nozzle from PLA, ABS, using nylon.

Will report back when I found it again.

EDIT:

I think it was this one:

http://bukobot.com/nozzle-cleaning

Nylon 140C (according to above article but note that bukobot uses 1.75mm filament).

ABS 130C (I only did this once but it was 2 days ago and I think that was the temp that worked. It worked just as well as with PLA which I think works better a little cooler than 90C although I usually do 90C).

Recently I started to always do atomic method or "cold pull" when I remove filament. Always. It makes changing colors much faster and keeps my nozzles clean. Also if switching from ABS back to PLA it's a must. On the UM2 I do the cold pull most of the way through the bowden then let it cool for 20 seconds before pulling through the feeder. And I pull it very fast through the feeder so the stepper has some momentum and is less likely to break off the tip which sucks when it happens but hasn't happened last 15 pulls or so.

• 9 months later...

I think we have to be really specific with fillaments brands. I had ABS that needs 240c to print and other chinise abs to print even at 206c.

So maybe the 130c for abs wont work for both... Is a genereal guide even possible?

Nylon is good because it stretches so much. I found that the temperature changes quite a bit if you use solex block with e3d nozzles (you need higher temperatuer) and it doesn't work as well. Not just like 10C hotter but like 40C hotter! I haven't tried the new jet set nozzles yet which may be better for cold pull. The inside of the e3d nozzles from the UK have tiny ridges down inside the nozzle. Nylon might stretch past these ridges more easily I would think.

I've found other variations on the ideal temperature for a cold pull. But once you find it for a particular material and printer it is pretty consistent and you get very good at it.