Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
Sign in to follow this  
bob-hepple

Importing g code into model space in cura

There's a command in cura that I thought was like a back plot whee you could see the results of the code in cura. when I do this nothing happens, can anybody tell me what this command is for. Also when I import my stl file into cura the model does not come up onto the bed, only when I hit layers does it show.. Is this a bug.

Can you explain a bit more what you mean? Not being able to see the model file definitely sounds like a bug. Probably related to video drivers if I had to guess. Are you able to see the bed itself?

What 'back plot' command are you referring to? The layers view is showing what the gcode will do when it is printed.

Sorry for so long in updating my question I have just tried the command

Fileload profile from gcode

I thought this would import the gcode and produce the model by it as in my first post in Cnc. World this would be called a BACKPLOT

But when I select it and then a g code file cura freezes then I have to close cura down and re start.

Am I barking up the wrong tree with this is it not a BACKPLOT .

Thanks

Bob

Yes, File->Load Profile from gcode does NOT load the model. When Cura generates gcode, it outputs a comment at the beginning that calls out the parameters used (layer height, speed etc). Load Profile from gcode recovers this information from the comment. Not sure what happens if you use this on a file not generated by Cura.

If you want to load gocde into Cura, simply use the Load model file... option and change the filter to .gcode. Note that in this mode, Cura only shows the layers view as I suspect reconstituting the 3D model from gcode is difficult and possibly problematic.