poor print quality

Posted · poor print quality

I just unboxed my ultimaker 2 and started printing. Unfortunately the print quality is pretty bad. Any ideas on how I can improve it? Heres some of the stuff im having trouble with

Bottom layers are shrinking,

Smaller details are not "detailed"

Very rough surfaces

It would be very helpful if you were able to post some pictures of the problems you're having. A rough surface could mean many different things for example.

"Smaller details". How small is small and in which plane?

Bottom layers shrinking. If I were to guess I think you mean that you're seeing a "cave in" of sorts around the first 5 mm of the part perhaps? If so, it's likely that you simply need to lower your bed temperature which defaults (for some reason...) to 75C for PLA which is too much, 60C is much more sensible.

Here's how to upload images to the forum:

http://umforum.ultimaker.com/index.php?/topic/4525-how-to-upload-an-image-to-the-forum/

20140710 210741[1]

print quality

heres a couple pics. thank you for the link that shows how to upload. haha

the corners lift up while printing. not on the build plate, but every layer. am i using too much heat on the extruder? (210c)

and also you can see the print quality looks pathetic. i dont know why they can get a perfect print at the factory, but i get terrible quality when i try. any ideas????

Limitless, Hi

The robot is not the best test print to be honest, its actually a tricky little model to print.

First of all lower the bed temp from 75 ( default ) to about 60. Make sure the fans come on straight away too and slow the print down quite a bit.

You will get better results by printing two at the same time aswell.

Try that!

PS. that`s a LOT of glue on your bed!

the corners lift up while printing.

I don't see this in the pictures so I will assume this is solved. If not try thinner layer of glue and any temp from 45C to 60C is fine for sticking to glass. To thin the glue just pour a little water on it. Wait 4 seconds and spread it around with paper towel or tissue.

It's a miracle you can print overhangs at all. The "bad" parts of the robot appear to be the overhangs. You can get perfect overhangs but you must do a few things.

1) Fans! Make sure the fans are working - both fans. Make sure they blow and don't suck. Make sure they are at 100% before it gets to the first overhang.

2) Temp. 210C is great. Stick with that for now.

3) Print speed. The slower you go the better the quality. I'm perfectly happy with what you call "pathetic" so I print at 75mm/sec all the time. But if you want an absolutely stunning print 35mm/sec is the top speed and 20mm/sec is probably best. So for stunning prints you need lots of patience (which I don't have).

Here's the best robot I am able to do:

version 5f top half

Details of settings for that print are here:

http://umforum.ultimaker.com/index.php?/topic/3038-can-your-ultimakerultimaker2-print-such-quality/?p=28588

gr5: can you tell me how to get to the spot where i load those setting into my printer??

Oh - I don't recommend that. It's best to have an understanding of what you are doing. Either think (Hmm - what speed did he use - did he use infill? What shell thickness?) and then check that, or you can instead go through each parameter one at a time and see if anything stands out as being different from what you chose.

When you have only done one or two prints it seems like a lot of parameters in cura but when you've done 30 you think - why are there so few options and parameters in Cura? It doesn't take long to learn them all.