How to develop my own version of Cura?

zhonghello

Posted · How to develop my own version of Cura?

Dears,

I want to do some modifications on cura and I installed wxpython.

Then I download Cura-SteamEngine from github and unzip it.

But when I run cura.py, error shows:

ImportError: No module named Cura.util

how can I solve this problem?

Very appreciated if any sopport~

I believe all the necessary build steps are somewhere on this forum. Use google search (the search built into this forum sucks) and restrict to this forum by adding to your search string "site:umforum.ultimaker.com". Also included the word "daid" as he is the author and he is the one who explained how to build it.

There's the python portion of cura and the steam engine portion.

If you only want to change the gui - can't you just edit the python files? I don't think they are compiled. Or is it the c code you want to edit?

I'm more of a "if you cannot figure this out, then you most likely cannot figure out the rest of the code as well"

Dear Daid,

I am familiar with c/c++, but new hand for python :-| , and I just want to know some principle of cura~

My understanding is Cura-SteamEngine is just a python GUI and I should combine it with CuraEngine-master.

is that right? thank you!

If you're experienced with C++, then python should not prove a problem at all. The average C/C++ OS project is a huge pain in the @#$% to set up. Compared to those, Cura is a breeze.

If you are unable to fix the (easier) python code, its quite likely that you don't have the required skills (yet).

That being said; Yes, Cura has 2 parts. The GUI is in Python and the engine (aptly called CuraEngine) is C++.

Dear nallath,

You are right~

I just have some experience with C, and know a little with C++, totally new hand for python.

I admit that my question is too basic :-P

I think I should learn more necessary skills before changing cura source code...

However, very appreciated for your answer :-P

You never answered if you wanted to edit steamEngine or the gui. If the gui then you don't need any compiler or source code - you just edit the py files and you are done.

Dear gr5,

I just want to edit the gui, add some buttons or something else to control the UM2 more convenient or show more printing messages of 3D printer...And you are right, I just need to edit py files, need to change C++ engine