UM2 Feeder (New, Maybe better, & just a bit different)

Posted · UM2 Feeder (New, Maybe better, & just a bit different)

Hi people :)

Currently I am trying a very specific and stable material feeder with a few extras to construct. Mainly to these feeder, replace the original UM2 feeder. ;)

The work is almost done and at the end the following should be possible with this feeder:

- Design is fundamental to UM2 Bowden.

- But universal compatibility (mounting plates) with other Bowden extruders possible.

- Using a variety of knurled wheels (Adjustable).

- Adjustable pressure of the tensioner roller.

- *Suitable for 3mm and 1.75mm filament.

- Quick-release mechanism for the tensioner.

- Adjustable track guide against a curve formation.

- *Using a variety of hose couplings possible.

- Very massive (and unfortunately also large) design.

- Integrated Bowden tube stabilization at the outlet.

- Integrated (short) material supply / Material Guide at the inlet.

*At the beginning, only 3mm filament is supported.

We'll see how it turns out in the end. Who would also like to test the early part, which has the possibility. Write me a short PM, then you will get a download link from me. This happens of course only when I have finished the construction in a few days.

A list regarding additionally required parts will follow, including additional Information.

I should perhaps say:

- It is of course not a professional creation, rather an experimental basis.

- On a brief search of literature regarding Extruder / Extrusion, I am a bit shocked because of the prices. 80 to 200 euros I had rather not expected for a single book.

- I'm trying to improve existing, based on a few existing examples.

- It remains the gearless direct drive operation.

Pleas do not forget:

Depending on which knurled wheel, you will use at the end, must of course the material calculation Cubic / Non-Cubic be adjusted. It works without adjustments only to the original UM2 knurled wheel.

KnurledWheels

Markus

• 2 weeks later...

Looking forward to seeing this thing in action! I think I can see how some of it goes together, I definitely can't figure it all out though. Great to see another modification to the printer come to life.

Note that straight tooth feeder wheels need cleaning from time to time as the will fill up with material. (One of the reasons why we like the angled tooths much more at Ultimaker)

Hello and thank you for your interest.

I have good news for all who are interested in the Feeder ;)

CPv7 is actually Final and works excellent. Significantly more than 100 print hours with already usable prototypes have shown me that I have chosen the right path. B)

CPv7 (00)

CPv7 (01)

CPv7 (02)

:oops: I am very sorry:

In recent weeks, I have lost the complete thread to the forum. In my craft, there were unusually busy, an unusual amount of work for this season. The main production time is usually from fall to spring. And, unfortunately, there was much to do, especially private and unpredictable things. Anyway, I was almost daily very exhausted, and could not find enough strength for the great hobby.

The latest facts, explanations, and a First Guide:

First I want to say that this new feeder can not eliminate bottlenecks close to the Print Heads, these problems must first be solved. Even a weak chosen engine, or a generally too weak tuned engine can be a huge bottleneck.

Filament transport with a Bowden-design principle requires much mechanical energy.

!!! Please read the following very carefully and possibly more than once !!!

Warning:

The Feeder is not a toy and requires a great deal of craftsmanship sensitivity and some technical understanding during assembly. Lubricants are not required. But some components need to be made consistently by repeated movements, this concerns for example the slide for the tension spring and the adjusting screws. This is necessary so that certain components can be easily moved in their guides. There is an increased risk of injury from incorrect handling. In some cases, a small but accurate finishing is required. For the dimensional accuracy is mainly the print-temperature critical.

CPv7 (03)

CPv7 (04)

CPv7 (05)

Tips for proper clean-turning (thread cutting) of screw in PLA / ABS:

All constructed hole diameter allow for easy cutting threads with the provided holes for the screws. Please put the screws perfectly straight on and turn them evenly fast in the holes provided. Stop just before the end (1-2 mm), and wait until the screw is completely cooled down. Only then tighten the screw completely. The friction in the screwing of screws generates a lot of heat and the PLA / ABS can be very soft. If a strongly heated purely screw turned too far, then the thread just created could be destroyed. To determine the depth of the hole is enough of a match, and a pencil, if not a suitable instrument is available.

+) Now CPv7 a very stable and almost wear-free version.

+) All the tests were conducted with the original UM2 knurled wheel.

+) All the objects presented below have been created with an advanced CPv7 prototypes.

+ -) The feeder consists of nine PLA main components, plus 1x universal adapter, plus 1x logo plate.

Main Settings for PLA and correct reproduction:

Direct print on glass or special print plate is highly recommended. Print-temperature (glass) 220/75 up to layer three, then 210/62, layer thickness 0.1mm, fill 33 percent, 85 percent fan, speed 35 to 55mm/s

CPv7 (06)

CPv7 (07)

CPv7 (08)

!!! In the pictures shown below, marked in red additional objects can be seen, these objects are required for the successful single-print, and can later be discarded. Areas marked in red within objects that are later to be removed support material. !!!

+ -) Mighty 570 grams total weight including the engine.

+ -) The total dimensions: 181x110x45mm.

+) Low material needs: I use for all my constructions mainly stainless steel screws (V2A), nuts, and washers in sizes M3 (head height 3mm) and M4 (Head Height 4mm) with internal hexagon and various lengths up to 25mm. Three ball bearings 2x624ZZ and 1x608ZZ are required, 1x compression spring (25 mm long, 10.5 mm outer diameter, 7.3 mm inner diameter, 1.5 mm wire thickness) of at least 5 kg holding force. The straight IQS pneumatic couplings are for 6mm tubing, and the thread type is: R1 / 4 ".

*) I almost had more than one kilograms PLA material sacrificed for the development of this great feeder. The many hours of development I've not registered, this is perhaps just as well, because big mistake in design, have me very often thwarted. OK ... An example of what I call: In the first pictures of this thread you can see an early prototype for which I have obviously not taken into account the wiring harness of the UM2's. Often gross blunder emerged in design, because of total fatigue, but now I go to all the things more calmly.

CPv7 BEMF V1 AdditionalParts

CPv7 BEMF V1 Base

CPv7 BEMF V1 BearingC (608ZZ)

CPv7 BEMF V1 Pn6 3mmFila Carrier

**) Also Cura v14:07 has, unfortunately, is thwarted me because I had made changes to the wall thickness. Then there were areas without infill and I thought of a design weakness of my feeders. But a colleague brought me back to the right path. So I take back wall thicknesses with a maximum of two times the nozzle diameter and get the correct results. Nevertheless, I have been able to make the best experience with this Cura version. Because for example, I had, after upgrading to 14:07, so far never realign the print bed, which is just awesome.

+) Adjustable pressure of the tensioner roller ... The spring force is adjustable from about 2.5 to 8 kilograms (estimated). The whole thing is of course dependent on the selected compression spring.

+) The compression spring can be removed and replaced without having to disassemble the entire feeder. Likewise, the clutch holder, and the knurled wheel can be exchanged. Actually, everything can be dismantled, because the four first / last screws holding the base and motor securely to the UM2 rear of your set.

+ -) Quick-release mechanism for the tensioner ... Currently it is not possible to bring the mechanism into a state with no spring pressure. But this is absolutely not a problem when filament change.

@ Daid: Almost 180 degrees of the knurled wheel are always accessible. And as mentioned above, it is fine to the original knurl. It is at the correct spring setting, no filament abrasion recognizable. Specifically, the apparently softer PLA Filament of INNOFILL (vs UM-PLA). is transported fine. Nevertheless, with this feeder probably not a ninja-Flex, or similar work, I think because the free area is too far for it to the clutch.

+) Design is fundamental to UM2 Bowden ... Nevertheless, it is still a universally usable Bowden material feeder. With optional adapter plate can operate this feeder at each step motor (NEMA17).

CPv7 BEMF V1 mnis

NEMA17 (6mmPlate)

+ -) For DIY or modifications I personally recommend a very strong Trinamic Motor: Even with only 1.8 degrees per step are absolutely clean layer coatings, down to 0.05mm possible. Below 0.05mm I have not been tested. Please note: When choosing Alternative motors and or knurled wheel, important adjustments in Cura must be made.

+) The original UM2 knurled wheel works just fine with the CPv7, so there is no need to e-Steps-adjustments are made in Cura.

+) The retraction length can be reduced to <4.5 mm.

+) Using a variety of knurled wheels (Adjustable) ... Almost all currently available versions can be used.

+ -) At the beginning, only 3mm filament is supported ... The offer I will expand at a later date.

+ -) Integrated Bowden tube stabilization at the outlet ... This is an extremely stable output range. When installed properly, the Bowden sits very firmly in coupling and hose guide.

!!! The first 15mm of a UM1- / UM2-Bowden must be reduced in outer diameter 6 mm, so that the Bowden perfectly fits into the coupling. Otherwise, it's hard to impossible to lead to the Bowden into the coupling. !!!

!!! Important: When mounting the Bowden then push it from start to finish in the couplings, ie not pressed from above in the brackets !!!

!!! It is very important that the Bowden used runs deep until it stops (nearly 15mm) in his clutch, otherwise it can cause massive problems when (Material Change) threading of new material !!!

+) Integrated (short) material supply / Material Guide at the inlet ... A short piece of Teflon tubing is sufficient as a material guide. When attached to the rear of your filament role a longer piece of Teflon hose is sufficient. More material guides are optional, but not mandatory.

+) For the wiring harness of the UM2, there is a bracket on the feeder base.

-) A filament change is now, unfortunately, more complex, and only with the help of a small flat nose pliers quite possible. The whole thing requires a little patience and practice, and good lighting.

+) The (mnis) logo plate: This part can be omitted, it is not necessary for the correct operation of the feeder, and other designs can easily be attached.

What else is there to do:

- Publish Latest pictures.

- Publish a complete (exact) Parts list.

- Publish A comprehensive guide.

- Improvement of the clutch holder.

- Construction of a lever tool for easier separation of coupling and hose.

- Publication of the download package.

Who does not want to wait until everything is done, may request the download link via PM from now on.

Bye for now

mnis

Hi guys,

A few weaknesses, the stability of the clamping mechanism for the compression spring, the general object-static design, and generally very little time have prevented me hitherto to publish this feeder. But I continue to work on an uncomplicated possible user experience with this construct. Half-baked things, there are already enough, so I let a lot of time hoping to present something really good.

Today, there are already a list of all optional components for the complete installation of this feeder. At these ingredients almost nothing will change. So if you eventually want to build this feeder, which should look ever sure all optional components are available for later.

The feeder must not later are made of special filament material, it suffice correctly printed PLA elements. Who for some reason not being able to print all the parts himself, who should ask an experienced friend to to take on this Task.

BlaBla enough for now:

CPv7 #01 NecessaryOptionalParts

Markus