UM 1 problem printing ABS

matis

Posted · UM 1 problem printing ABS

Hi guys,

I have huge problem with ABS printing. My settings are:

0,2 layer height

80 print speed

240 print temperature (I tried temperatures from 240 to 260)

100 bed temperature

First layer is printed great, adhere to glass just fine (Iam using glue and water mixture), on second layer walls start cracking (they are more "white", they are cooler? I dont know what Iam looking at! :( ) but infill is just fine, huge problem comes with third or fourth layer where even infill is cracking. I dont know what Iam looking at so I cant diagnostic the problem :( I tried fan on (about 30%) and off but income is mostly the same.

When I just replaced ABS to PLA with same settings, bed level,... everything is printed nice.

Photo is not great but I hope it will help. Any ideas? Thanks.

ABS problem

Translucide filament are like that, they have a level of clearness. The thicker you build the layer, the more white-ish it becomes. That being said, your white filament becomes slithly yellow which can be a a problem in the future.

ABS tends to becomes "caramel" for heating issue and it's sticky and hard to clean!

Iam not sure if I understand correctly. Iam using white filament and printed parts are white not yellow, that slightly yellow parts all over the place and in the middle are because my layer "cracked" and hot end burn them on contact.

Well, ABS can be a pain in the butt to print.

I print mine at 230C, 30 or 50mm/s. Try and see if it works.

Also, if you can cover the side of your UM1 with acrylic/glass. I know my teacher got lots of trouble with his Affinia, our school runs air conditioner so he had to improvise with plastic container.

I will look on that in the morning:)

Thanks for now.

btw do you have fan on or off? bed temperature?

My fan are always on, a custom for the peek and another custom "nozzle fan".

I use 90C for the heated bed, and I use Elmer dissapearing purple glue for ABS.

Printed on 230C and 30mm/s and same issue but on higher layer, now it is probably sixth layer.

IMG 20140802 085526

Anyway I printed cute octopus from thingiverse about week ago with 240C, 80mm/s and 0,1mm layer without any problem and now Iam not able print with same settings? :(

I printed these hearts in series about 30 hours straight from PLA without problem, now I switched to ABS and same issue, first three layers are good and then... Any idea what it can be? Recommended settings for ABS?

IMG 20140806 162117

ok it seams that no one wants to help me;) but one update - when printing with cura default high quality setting (probably 0,1mm layer) print is ok BUT when try normal or fast settings it is happening. after first 2or3 layer is starts to print into the air! WHY?!

just wondering if that temperature is too low for that ABS - I don't print with ABS but it looks like when I print too fast and cold with XT - as an experiment bump it up 10 degrees and slow down to 50 - if that improves then bump the temp up a bit more

check that you have calibrated your filament diameter as it could also be a flow issue - that only becomes apparent as you get further away from the added heat of the heatbed. (I don't have a heat bed either so I am guessing at both of these!.

James

As I write above I print with these setting earlier but I will try mess with temperature. again:( Diameter was fine but will check that too.

Can there be an a issue with extruder screw(too much pressure on filament)?

I use black ultimaker abs at 250 degrees and bed at 115 (compensate for the thick glass) and for 0.1mm layer height I use 40mm/s printspeed and 40% fan.

Do you have any idea on the quality of your ABS?

As I write above I print with these setting earlier but I will try mess with temperature. again:( Diameter was fine but will check that too.

Can there be an a issue with extruder screw(too much pressure on filament)?

the screw should be just tight enough to stop skipping/slipping - but if it is good enough for the PLA then it should be good enough for ABS.

i have heard that ABS is a tougher nut to crack than PLA.

I have noticed when I tried once to print with ABS that the early layers went down well - but then it started to curl and push hard against the nozzle - which I think would be sorted with bed temp, print temp and speed.

You will find the sweet spot with experimentation.

James

I think you should print a little slower & turn off the fan. Use acetone-abs instead of glue. Adjust the flow in the filament settings and control diameter of the filament.

My settings for abs (e-bay 3mm black) is:

255c print-temp

110 bed-temp

3mm diameter

111% flow

Speed max 60.

Fan is off. I only enable it (on the fly)on prints that have a layer time of less than 8-10 sec. (25% fan)

I have also printed a front door for my U2 so my ambient temp inside is around 40c

Is there any reason to use acetone-abs or glue when I dont have any problems with adhesion? My prints are sticking on the glass just fine now.

I found my old note with test settings which I used for few abs prints which come out just fine:

255 print temp

115 bed temp

80mm/s

what is weird I cant print with these setting now (month or two ago)! :D

I will try slower speed but when 80mm/s worked few weeks ago,...:)

Thanks anyway.

Hi Matis,

I think you are correct I don't think you have a adhesion issue so using ABS juce is not at hand. Your problem seems more that the abs does not sick together. Please note my print speed is 40mm/s and comparable temperatures. I never stressed my machine for speed so I would not know where the limit is (I don't care as long as the result is fine). I do have my printer enclosed to avoid draft and a little higher ambient temperature.

I think that problem is with your feeder stepper driver, try to increase voltage a bit, and loose your feeder screw. As for me, my ABS settings are - 250 temp, 100 HB, 0.1-0.15 layer height ( more than 0.15 my ultimaker feeder stop working on 4th layer.