Vase not solid enough

Titus

Posted · Vase not solid enough

I've decided to go and give vases a try: http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:19031

But I can't seem to get the bottom solid, or the walls stick to the bottom/thick enough.

I used the following settings:

Check spiralize in expert settings

layer 0.2

shell 1.2

bottom 1.2

fill 20

speed 75

temp 210(PLA)

flow 110

As you can see in the pictures it looks like backlash, but other objects don't seem to suffer from it.... I attached my Gcode, could someone run that to see if it's my machine or the gcode.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/whkrlfvy2n8q78p/gearedVase1.gcode

I haven't had much luck myself with the 'spiralize' option. However, you can make the infill 0% and then in the expert settings uncheck the 'solid infill top' and make sure you check 'solid infill bottom'. I haven't printed a vase in a few on my UM, but this is how I've done it in the past when the actual model is a solid object and I want a vase.

Did some vases with the spiralize feature. Worked fantastic, except for one all were watertight. The bottom is a little tricky. I Increased the nozzle temperature up to 220°C and set the flow to 220%. Not the ideal way to compensate but worked. These are none fixed values. You have to find the right ones for your material. First I would increase the temperature in steps of 5°C and then increase the flow in steps of 10% until it is solid. Should work. Good luck. Keep us up to date and which vase is it you are printing?

Update, I tried a "solid" print with 20 % without spiralize, works perfectly fine...

So this is probably a Cura issue with the spiralize setting, or I'm not using it like I should.

I guess the remove top and 0 % infill is indeed the way to go....

I was printing this vase Duesentrieb:http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:19031

First of all realize that spiralize prints the wall with ONE PASS so having a shell of 1.2mm is the equivalent of 300% flow! That's a lot for that tiny nozzle. I recommend thinner - maybe .9mm shell. Also raise the temp! Raise the hell out of the temp. I would print at 240C. You won't have stringing issues and you don't seem to have too much overhang in that model so go for it. Let the PLA flow like honey!

210C flow 110 shell 1.2 and .2mm layers and 75mm/sec is wow. 1.1*1.2*.2*75=20mm^3/sec.

You need a .8mm nozzle at 240C to achieve that. So you are going to have to also slow it down. Maybe do 1mm shell, .1mm layer height and 50mm/sec? Try to keep your flow at 5 cubic mm and slower and your temp at 230C or higher for that kind of volume speed.

• Like 1

Damn you Titus, now I have to print a vase too :)

No all kidding aside, I tried one the past week and it leaked more water than a sieve, so I really want to get this.

If the spiralize limits the entire thing to 1 pass, isn't there an alternative way to get a thicker wall but still relatively waterproof? Wouldn't know how that would work spiral wise if you're trying to keep a single strand of plastic going though, but I still consider myself a newbie regarding 3D printing so there's lots I don't know ;)

Just don't try to shove 20 cubic mm of plastic through the nozzle per second and you should be fine. Also not so cold. Print hotter and slower.

Note that Joris who invented spiralize has a larger nozzle - around .8mm or 1mm. He makes cups. Lots of cups.

Wow gr5, that is a lot of useful info. I didn't realize that spiralize meant one pass, otherwise I wouldn't have upped the wall thickness etc so much! I was only trying to get it thicker, using more passes :p

Will experiment with the feature again after my remove top and 0 % infil is done.

@Blizz, that is the otherway, just uncheck fill top, and put a 0% infill.

I believe "top" and "infill" checkboxes do nothing in spiralize mode.

The vase came out really nice but is not water proof. The sides are okay (up til the point where the feeder started jumping back because of too much pressure) but the bottom is really leaking.

Gear Vase