Cura RC4

Daid

I've released Cura RC4. This is a bugfix and minor change release compared to RC3.

https://github.com/daid/Cura/wiki

Changes are:

• [*:1oo9w0kb]Fixed a critical bug where slicing didn't work when people where using Cura for the first time.
    [*:1oo9w0kb]Added dwindle settings for people to experiment with. (In expert config)
    [*:1oo9w0kb]Added mirror/swap buttons to project planner
    [*:1oo9w0kb]Fixed issue where opening an explorer window on a filename with a space in it failed. (Windows only)
    [*:1oo9w0kb]Added better command line slice running support (slice file with different profile.ini)
    [*:1oo9w0kb]Added "show log" on project planner
    [*:1oo9w0kb]Added an extra perimeter when you are using the Joris setting, this makes the print watertight
    [*:1oo9w0kb]Fixed issue with GCode preview of Jorised GCode
    [*:1oo9w0kb]Fixed an 3D preview window issue with ATI cards, where the preview window refused to update (Affects both Windows and MacOS)
    [*:1oo9w0kb]Added slice date/time and basic settings to start of GCode. And made start/end code preserve lines that only had comments.
    [*:1oo9w0kb]Made the Cura printing interface release the step motors when you cancel a print.

• 2 weeks later...

Today I've done some experimenting with the project planner.

When using the project planner is it possible to have the first layers of all objects laid down first before moving onto building the first object?

I would like to be next to the printer so I can make some on the go adjustments in case the first layer doesn't stick. I'm confident that from the first layer on this will go right.

Earlier today I executed a project planner exported print. This print consisted out of three tall objects (+- 8 cm height). After I came back I saw that one of the objects had magically disappeared from the bed. It was a few meters further on the floor. I think that it was hit by the gantry when the bed moved back up to start with the second object. Does project planner also take this into account and can I see if it's going to go right before printing?

Is it possible to adjust the filament flow during the print like you can also change the speed ? I use Printrun to run the print.

Thanks!

I second this request! If the first layer sticks, I feel much better about the overall print. I have used project planner a few times and everytime i have had 3rd/4th objects that dont stick to the bed and the object ends up a messy pile of strings..

When using the project planner is it possible to have the first layers of all objects laid down first before moving onto building the first object?

I would like to be next to the printer so I can make some on the go adjustments in case the first layer doesn't stick. I'm confident that from the first layer on this will go right.

Posted · Cura RC4

There has been another request for this. And it should be possible (especially after the modifications I did for dual extrusion). However, I think the chance of the first layer detaching from the bed when you start printing the object is just as great or even greater then the first layer failing. Proper level platform is very essential for the project planner.

Earlier today I executed a project planner exported print. This print consisted out of three tall objects (+- 8 cm height). After I came back I saw that one of the objects had magically disappeared from the bed. It was a few meters further on the floor. I think that it was hit by the gantry when the bed moved back up to start with the second object. Does project planner also take this into account and can I see if it's going to go right before printing?
    It doesn't account for the gantry yet. It's one of the bugs. If you have objects higher then 6cm you will run into this problem.

Is it possible to adjust the filament flow during the print like you can also change the speed ? I use Printrun to run the print.
    There is an M command for this, but not sure which M command it is.

don't mean to disagree with you Daid, but I'm going to anyway ;)

I've found the first layer to be absolutely crucial - slight variations in filament thickness can make all the difference between a good first layer and a ball of fluff.

if it's going to fluff, I'd sooner it did it in the first few minutes while I'm watching, not 6hrs later and then subsequently ruin 3 out of 4 of my placed objects.

Out of interest what is the main purpose of project planner? I mean, why not just concatenate all stl files into one stl file and print that - what's the advantage of printing all of one object then move to the next? (not being rude because you've done a really nice job of implementing it, I just don't understand the purpose..)

Posted · Cura RC4
    Out of interest what is the main purpose of project planner? I mean, why not just concatenate all stl files into one stl file and print that - what's the advantage of printing all of one object then move to the next? (not being rude because you've done a really nice job of implementing it, I just don't understand the purpose..)

The main purpose is to remove strings between the different printed parts. This means you can print at higher temperatures, and higher speeds for quite a few parts, as 80% of the stuff I print can be printed without strings.

It also allows you to print different parts at different slice settings.

It also has the advantage that if your extruder grinds then you still have the previous parts printed correctly, instead of a whole plate of things failing.

don't mean to disagree with you Daid, but I'm going to anyway ;)
    You are free to disagree :) Actually, disagreeing with a good reason is great. I'm not the almighty Ultimaker God. I'm just a random guy with silly ideas.

I've found the first layer to be absolutely crucial - slight variations in filament thickness can make all the difference between a good first layer and a ball of fluff.

if it's going to fluff, I'd sooner it did it in the first few minutes while I'm watching, not 6hrs later and then subsequently ruin 3 out of 4 of my placed objects.

Well, I want to try if printing the first layer, or first few layers works better. Sorry that I did not make that clear. However, there is a chance that it will work worse then the current implementation. Something like this needs to be done anyhow for the gantry avoiding code (print 60mm of each object and then print the next 60mm, to avoid hitting the gantry of the X/Y)

Well, I want to try if printing the first layer, or first few layers works better. Sorry that I did not make that clear. However, there is a chance that it will work worse then the current implementation. Something like this needs to be done anyhow for the gantry avoiding code (print 60mm of each object and then print the next 60mm, to avoid hitting the gantry of the X/Y)

My gut feeling tells me that it should work better. Let's say there is a slight variation in the distance between the tape on the bed and the nozzle compared to the first object (there is no such thing as perfect anyway, right? :) ). If I then have the choice between laying down a layer without perfect circumstances on a layer of tape or on a layer of PLA I'd prefer the latter. The printer is capable of recovering from imperfections in the PLA anyway for example when a little bit of material comes off the nozzle onto the print or when the tape is a little damaged.

Also I like to turn the Z-screw by hand a bit to finetune the first layer. When it's something like a thin walled cylinder I prefer it to "dig a bit deeper" into the tape compared to an area-filled first layer as the layers will then overlap and you get ripples which is bad.

Looking forward to seeing how it works. Cura also rocks without it ;).

I don't know how you make these changes so fast but I like it!

I just loaded up RC4 and I got to the configuration wizard and Ultimaker Checkup is saying my temp sensor or heater is not working. Is the Ultimaker Checkup working yet? I have been suspicious of my sensor heater for a little while now.

Posted · Cura RC4

The Ultimaker checkup should work, but it assumes you start off with a cold machine. So if it was still hot from a previous print it might report an temperature sensor problem without a real problem being there.

I did get through the temp check after wiggling wires on the print head. I'm pretty sure my printer has a funky thermister or something.

A couple of things I noticed from RC4 (if you're interested in suggestions)

Is support doesn't have the option for angle where you can designate what areas should get support.

Printing Temperature. It gets put in above the start GCODE. The problem with this is I have my custom start.gcode that goes to a certain area of the platform then starts heating up allowing it to wipe before it starts. I can't do this with the way you have the temp put in. I'm not sure if you have a good reason for doing it this way. I noticed you have what looks like variables in the start.gcode like X{machine_center_x} that gets replaced.

Is it possible to do this with the temp so I can place it in the spot I require for my start.gcode? It's not a big deal, I can just change the temp to 0 and placing M109 it in my gcode works fine.

Posted · Cura RC4

If you insert an M109 S{print_temperature} somewhere in the start code, then it won't add it's own M109 at the beginning. There has been some discussion about this, and I think I'll make it default for the next version to heatup after homing.

Daid,

you said "print different parts at different slice settings" - how does one do that exactly?

I have been assuming it slices everythign with the settings used from the main window when I hit slice in the project planner. I can change the scale per thing, but nothing else?

Posted · Cura RC4

Well, I couldn't find a good clear way to get it in the GUI. But if you look at the top toolbar, you see the buttons "Add/Remove/Up/Down/Copy" Next to copy there is "set custom profile", this will ask for an ini file which will be used to slice the model you have selected. This will be indicated with a * behind the model name.

I'm not that happy about the icon I used to the button, but I couldn't find anything better.

You can make the profile ini with the normal window, by setting the settings you want, and then use "file->save profile" to save the ini file.

thanks Daid - I'll give it a try. it's not very obvious tho!

Added better command line slice running support (slice file with different profile.ini)

I couldn't find anything around these forums that explains how to specify a profile.ini for command line slicing. I tried a couple of things but it didn't work either. Got command line instructions for me Daid?

Posted · Cura RC4
    Added better command line slice running support (slice file with different profile.ini)

I couldn't find anything around these forums that explains how to specify a profile.ini for command line slicing. I tried a couple of things but it didn't work either. Got command line instructions for me Daid?

you need to run "python cura.py -h" to see the help options.

"python cura.py model.stl -i profile.ini" will slice the model with the selected profile.

Awesome thank you!

I've used the project planner for a few times now. This time I wanted to print a small (50%) scaled version of the geared cube. However it seems like there is a drip of PLA on top of every printed part. I'm not sure what exactly went wrong as I wasn't there when it happened. Any idea how I can prevent this from happening? Thanks!

Posted · Cura RC4

I see 3 problems with that.

1) I see some melted tips, most likely doe to the cooldown. Try setting the "minimal feedrate" a bit higher in the expert settings. The defaults on this could use some improvements. You can also lower the minimum layer time. This accounts for most of the bad stuff you see on the tips.

2) When going from object to object it's using the "switch_object.gcode" at the start/end gcode tab. You can adjust this if you want. It does a retraction, and a move up and then to the next object.

3) The screwless gear cubes don't work very well at 50% scale. The pin connectors seem to be very lose then.