Question on part bottom

pdxview

Posted · Question on part bottom

The bottom surface of my parts has changed. The first parts I printed were pretty smooth and almost glossy. Now, even when I print the same files, I can see the individual beads of plastic and it looks more like woven fabric.

Any ideas on what changed or is going wrong?

• 2 weeks later...

I leveled the bed. it helps a little.

When I print the cal part included on the SD card i get stranded surfaces top and bottom. I am including pictures to make it clearer

This is the bottom

Now I figured out how to link to pictures

I am getting stranded poor printing on the top and bottom. I have included links to two examples. Any ideas what this is?

I am still using the original blue PLA supplied by Ultimaker. Earlier prints were good. This is printed on an Ultimaker 2.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ffe5xo5nd9dwfmx/photo%202.JPG?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/yhl8bjbgl7r2bmd/photo%201.JPG?dl=0

Please I just need a minute of advice from someone who is more experienced than me

looks like it's more than just the initial layer and top layer. In your first picture, you can see past the voids in that first layer to what looks like the same thing in the next layer? I can't speak for all the top dogs on here, but when I run into these kinds of problems, I have a checklist that I run through.

#1, atomic clean the extruder

#2, check filament extruder (check for tension, debris, grinding etc)

#3, feed filament through advanced settings menu and check characteristics of extrusion. This usually tells me how the next print is going to perform. If it's curling up real bad towards the nozzle, somethingis wrong, clogged, etc. If it curls a little, then starts to flow straight once the weight of the extruded filament starts to pull on it, I move on.

#4 Check the printer temp settings, and Cura settings to make sure I didn't change something by accident. Initial layer height is a biggy if you want that glassy first layer (in conjunction with a level bed).

Once I've tried these 4 steps, it will almost always take on different print characteristics. And if there is something that is still off, it most likely is easier to identify since I've already eliminated so many variables.

I can perform all 4 steps in under 5 minutes easy, so I've gotten into the "good" habit of just checking everything.

Also, there is another thread that talks about bed leveling (impossible bed leveling I believe), where people are leveling the bed as your printer is printing a nice large brim or skirt. I too have since switched to this method. Read more on that to get the best possible leveling and that glass finish on your first layer (again, combined with the cura setting for initial layer height). You basically level the bed on the fly with the adjustment screws as it prints the brim/skirt and you get a real-time view of the extrusion widths/thickness as it lays down more brim/skirt

Other than that, I would recommend spending half a day or so and reading through all the topics in the forum, you never know when you're going to need some of that information, and believe me, one day, you WILL need that information.