Another Jam Problem

rick

Posted · Another Jam Problem

I've had my UM2 for about 3/4 year now, and have not had it working correectly for longer periods of time. So i kinda gave up on it for a while, until i decided that a 2500 euro conversation piece is not the way to go for it. So i replaced almost all the parts that were in some way not working(feeder,bowden tube,loose fan connectors)

But now something that i can't explain/find has occured. For some reason the filament gets stuck somewhere between the ptfe isolator and the nozzletip. This annoyingly happens EVERY SINGLE TIME. It can happen anytime between the start of the print and the end. But i havent been able to print something for weeks.

I have cleaned the entire assembly and taken it apart multiple times to do so.

Has anybody had this issue as well ? and is there a solution ?

1) Is your 3rd fan working? The problem you describe is very common if the 3rd fan isn't working.

2) When you took the hot end completely apart did you inspect the white isolator? Try passing a small piece of filament through it.

3) Long ago when I would change filament, it was very common for me that the filament would get stuck inside the print head. I could fix this using "move material" menu and move the filament up maybe 10mm and then back down and usually the second time it was fine. Lately though I always cut the tip of the filament into a point before loading it and I haven't had the problem in at least 8 months.

4) The isolator deforms under heat and pressure. When putting it together try to have the least amount of pressure on it and try to print at 220C or cooler as much as possible. I sometimes print at 240C but try to stay cooler. You can reduce pressure by having the nozzle as low as possible such that the isolator goes further inside the hot end so that the spring isn't pushing as hard. Ultimaker has a new isolator that looks like the old one but is more resistant to deformation under high temperatures. You can request one from support or probably get a free one from Daid or someone at the next "ulti day" or whatever it's called.

Hey Gr5 !

Thanks for the reply, After taking it apart again i found that there wasn't much left of the insulator this time. I'll mail UM about a replacement one. But seeing as it is "more" resistant instead of "resistant" i'm guessing this will be a returning issue ?

If that is the case i'm gonna see if i can get one made from tungsten carbide, Because i'm not keen on getting replacement parts every few months. Or do you perhaps have any leads on metal insulators for the UM2 ?