Using solder wire to print

pm_dude

Posted · Using solder wire to print

Good Day!

A friend just asked me if it would be possible to print solder wire used as a filament.

Something like this melt at 219C but is just too thin.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/NEW-Finest-WBT-4-RoHS-Lead-Free-Silver-Solder-250g-73m-239-Spool-WBT-0825-/291127551374?pt=Guitar_Accessories&hash=item43c88de58e

Its made of Tin and Silver. It could give an interesting result if the diameter would be bigger. :D

Did anyone ever tried that? I wont unless I have a second nozzle that I can use for the test...

I remember once reading that the tin in solder degrades your nozzle quite fast. Not sure where I read this though, so don't attach to much weight to it.

Also, most solder tin is way to soft to be fed by a extruder. You would need some sort of different mix, giving it hardness to be extruded. Other than that, it seems plausible. @ColorFabb, something for you guys to design :p ?

I recall some of the early rep-rap work involved using extruded solder to make conductive traces. The biggest problem seems to be that it beads up on you. You couldn't use a eutectic solder, you'd need one that only partially melted, so that it went from solid to paste, not liquid.

It's something I've wanted to try, but we'll have to get a backup printer and multiple heads before we do any experiementing of that sort.

Yes its also mentionned in the articule above. The nozzle went from 0.5 to 2 during his tests. But I suspect that reaction to occur more at higher temp. The guy was saying his wire was melting at 274C which is really high compared to 219C or even lower with bismuth.

I'll have to look at where his tests are getting to.

If only Ultimaker was selling replacement nozzles for the UM2... I would try it.

The nozzle will have oxidation quite quickly using solder wire. Just look at the old copper soldering iron's. Only if you have a high quality soldering tip with a special protection layer the solder does not deteriorate the point. So I would guess the same would apply for a printing nozzle. And sure liquid solder does like to stick to the tip. Material properties are quite different, on the other hand the idea is a nice one. Likely with the proper materials it could be done I guess.

Great article. I guess its not quite there yet. But it will come :)