Not only walls with 0% infill

boukeg

Posted · Not only walls with 0% infill

Hi all,

I've been trying to search the forum for this quite some time, and in the past I've seen one post, but perhaps there is an update (I cannot find it anymore).

I'm printing a vase. With 0% infill and no top (switched off in expert setting). Also, set the width to 1,6mm (so should be printing 4 walls). When printing, my thought would be it prints only the 4 walls. However - it prints 'something' on the inner wall to. This takes more time, but also decreases print quality on the inner side.

Deeper examination shows also these extra 'printing' on the inner wall - I can clearly see the yellow parts, parts where it prints extra on the inner wall.

After fiddling with the setting in both expert settings found one solution:

- disable the bottom! YESSS! Great, yellow parts are gone, just printing 4 walls, low print time... but... I need a bottom in my vase, else water goes everywhere except staying inside and filling the vase with marbles will also give a nice effect when picking it up.

So... Is there a way to remove that extra printing without removing the bottom? One thing I also noticed, when enabling the top, the amount of extra material (yellow) is quite a lot more. In a way, printing the top and bottom influences this behaviour.

Especially for printing vases there is the spiralize or Joris feature in the expert settings. This results in a massiv bottom, very thin wall and no top. After printing the bottom the printer steadily increases Z, so it´s printing a very flat spiral. This results in very good prints without any Z-artifacts or so. Just activate "Spiralize" in the expert settings, look at it in the layer preview and print it.

Don´t know what a "strong" vase means for you. Printed out some and they were water tight and strong enough. The one that was not water tight was printed too cold. Also it´s good to print the first layers with a higer flow to get it water tight.

Water tight vases are easily done; Simply cheat and use PVC glue to coat em.

:-P Have to do that with one. The others are tight.

That is a very nice tip, thank you. I'll give it a try then. Thanks for your tips.

For spiralize 0.1mm layers and wall thickness of 0.6mm works well.

Print a big bottom (2mm or up) should help for water tightness, i found out that water leaks from the bottom most of the time and not from the sides

make sure your top/bottom thickness setting is small enough so it doesn need to add any to the sides. Some infill is printed to make sure the shell is thick enough from the bottom/top point of view.

See the yellow inside this image? This is due to top/bottom thickness.

infill

EDIT: Oh... I noticed I read the thread to fast... My bad

make sure your top/bottom thickness setting is small enough so it doesn need to add any to the sides. Some infill is printed to make sure the shell is thick enough from the bottom/top point of view.

See the yellow inside this image? This is due to top/bottom thickness.

EDIT: Oh... I noticed I read the thread to fast... My bad

Not a problem at all! I was thinking about this and I now understand why this is happening... If the height on the Z-axis is lower than the bottom/top height anywhere on the wall, it will compensate by adding extra material. My feeling it was infill, but it is the bottom/top fill. I wished this could be turned of in a way, I like adding strength to the parts by adding extra walls and little infill, but the extra time and material just makes it useless.