performance issue

izo2

Posted · performance issue

hello,

i'm totally new in cura edition,

and i have performance issue,

if i load a decimate mesh of 2 000 000 tri and try to reach a 15 * 15 cm size

cura look stuck, some time it take more than 10 mn to change a setting and sometime it still simply stuck.

i see my processor just use @ 15% and memory @ 10%

is there some optimisation issue ? or i'm the only one to have this performance ?

thanks

(and sorry for my poor english)

Decimate mesh should lower it to say 10,000 triangles. How did you decimate? Maybe try this:

http://www.shapeways.com/tutorials/polygon_reduction_with_meshlab

Cura should *never* be sluggish in normal view. Was this slice view? Sometimes cura is slow in slice view - while it loads all the slices into graphic display.

Cura slices faster with thicker slices (say 1mm slices). And with smaller parts and with fewer triangles.

thanks for answering.

my model is a sculpt from zbrush, it's use decimation master to down the sculpt max to 1 000 000, otherwise i start loosing detail. And with the ultimaker 2 can handle 0.02, it sad to don't use it ;).

but even in 0.06 cura is very slow and stuck for more than 10 mn, sometime never respond so i can't save my gcode.

in comparaison simplify3d slice it in seconds, but charge 99% the cpu, that the behavior epected for extensive 3d operation.

Some machines experience slowdowns like this with super-high polygon models (2mil triangles is way over the top, 200k is much better) I haven't nailed down the cause yet.

my pc have a pretty strong hardware, but it can be an incompatibility issue,

is there specific distrib to install or redist maybe ?

but 2 mill triangles is average to enjoy the 0.02 mm of the ultimaker 2

and it decimate from a 32 mil mesh from zbrush.

at least i have no issue with simplify3d, but i would like to use cura.

With Meshlab Quadric Edge Collapse Decimation you can reduce to 200K/400K tris and at 15cm you shouldn't really loose that much details. I had a 40M tris drop to 160K and it printed nicely.

I also noticed that Plugins add time to complete the slicing but if the bar didn't reach close to the end its not even there yet.

Remember that your 0.02mm is only true in height. On a layer the nozzle size is still 0.4mm wide so you need that space at least to get into outgoing details. Ingoing details are going to be preserved better as long as the nozzle can surround it.

that depend the surface of the mesh, decimation master can go pretty far and keep good looking model.

but a model with a high frequency surface start to be more complicated.

anyway that doesn't change the fact that i can achieve it on simplify3d, but would like to use cura also.

issue reported here : https://github.com/daid/Cura/issues/949

hope it will be fixed, because i can't use my new um2 at its full potential,

it's a bit frustrating.

I have been having a similar issue. Are you using the support material setting?

For some reason I can slice large, complex objects but I cannot slice them with any of the support material settings on.

i have the issue without support material,

some how it's look related to the model size and density,

but my cpu is never full @ 100%

yerstaday i have to reduce the polycount, and it print the triangle :(