Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
Sign in to follow this  
qmaker

Scale at printer

This may have already been answered or requested, but I couldn't find it in the search.

Is there any way to scale a print at the printer. I find that it would be nice after getting a decent print with my g code settings to simply dial up the scale at the printer and print it larger. Even if it was just set increments like 25% 50% max build volume.

Just wondering.

Well, you could just increase the steps per mm for the printer, that will surely increase the printsize.

Remember to also up the extruder then or you'll get underextrusion, though you'll also get faster speeds, so you need to tune that down. Generally though, you should just create a new g-code.

Doesn't work - for example if you scale up X,Y,Z by 2X now the nozzle has to output 8 times as much for each line. Plus if your layer height was .2mm now it's .4mm which doesn't look so good.

If you only increase by 10% it might work but you need to scale up the E axis (extruder) by 1.1 cubed or 1.33.

Anyway, no, there is no such feature.

If you scale up or down it's really best to completely reslice it at the new scale. The printer is really designed to print exactly .4mm wide traces of plastic (it will go down to .2mm or up to .6mm just fine but really .4mm is the best).

Thanks guys, I was just wondering. But, maybe sometime in the future it might be a feature that would be really beneficial.

Don't expect this feature to happen in this way. Maybe the slicing will move to the printer one day (with more powerful electronics). But until then, this won't happen, due to the high complexity, and the imperfect results.