New UM2 PCB fan issue

oggie

Posted · New UM2 PCB fan issue

Morning all,

Unpacked my new UM2 this week and have been pleased with the overall quality of the prints and the progress being made, however after printing a test file for a few hours I came back to find it had finished the print fine but the electronics fan was running flat out and has not stopped since regardless of if it's just been switched on in the morning or been running all day. Faulty temp sensor or possibly faulty wiring?

Thanks in advance,

Oggie

Thanks for your quick reply, you are right it is this fan making the noise, however it certainly wasn't running when we first switched it on, if that is the case then problem solved I guess but why does the fan run when nothing is printing/getting hot?

Oggie

Unless there has been a design change that I haven't been made aware of, that fan will run as long as the printer is switched on since it's hard wired directly to power. It's said that future versions of the control board will make it so that it can be turned off via software. But for now it's simply how it was designed to operate. You'll have to ask whoever designed that part for the reasoning :)

If you're absolutely sure that the fan wasn't running before I would check the wiring to make sure it's not glitchy.

My fan was very noisy after long prints and I ended up replacing it with a new one.

http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/ebm-papst/255N/?qs=%2Fha2pyFadugn%2FA8ZbmxbvR%2FiuyGqnSMTbEmS7%252b6qsV0%3D

I can't tell the fan is even on anymore since it makes almost no noise.

Edit: Actually before you go and order that fan, I did some reading tonight and found that the stock fan has a 3 CFM spec and this one is only 1.9 CFM. Can't say what the negative effects would be exactly but it would probably be better to stick to a 3 CFM fan which might not be any quieter.

I ordered two of these. I'll be able to evaluate the noise level when they arrive.

http://www.digikey.com/product-search/en?KeyWords=259-1569-ND&WT.z_header=search_go