Custom supports in Blender

danilius

Posted · Custom supports in Blender

I have tried creating support in Blender and found that anything thinner than .441mm was ignored by Cura. The supports that did print were two lines wide, which of course is not what I want.

What I'm wondering is if there is some way of creating single line wide support from within Blender. Is there any way of marking geometry in such a way that Cura will treat it as a support, or perhaps some other slicer that is capable of doing that?

I am loath to try slic3r at the moment, because I'm not confident enough to configure it for the UM2. Is there anywhere to download pre-configured settings for the UM2 in a file for slic3r?

I have tried creating support in Blender and found that anything thinner than .441mm was ignored by Cura. The supports that did print were two lines wide, which of course is not what I want.

Did you actually print it? I also found that 0.4mm is not thick enough for Cura (at least not without the fix horrible B setting). I once made a 0.5mm support and sliced it with Cura. And the width of the print is: 0.5mm! Cura does indeed draw two lines but one of them is drawn with just about a quarter of the volume and shifted by 0.1mm in respect to the other line. Very clever!

I do the same for my custom supports.

Maybe with some hack in the code you could tell cura to single lines on the open faces and provide non watertight geometries... Maybe...

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
    • Our picks

• UltiMaker Cura 5.7 stable released
        Cura 5.7 is here and it brings a handy new workflow improvement when using Thingiverse and Cura together, as well as additional capabilities for Method series printers, and a powerful way of sharing print settings using new printer-agnostic project files! Read on to find out about all of these improvements and more. 

• 18 replies
      • S-Line Firmware 8.3.0 was released Nov. 20th on the "Latest" firmware branch.
        (Sorry, was out of office when this released)

This update is for...
        All UltiMaker S series  
        New features

Temperature status. During print preparation, the temperatures of the print cores and build plate will be shown on the display. This gives a better indication of the progress and remaining wait time. Save log files in paused state. It is now possible to save the printer's log files to USB if the currently active print job is paused. Previously, the Dump logs to USB option was only enabled if the printer was in idle state. Confirm print removal via Digital Factory. If the printer is connected to the Digital Factory, it is now possible to confirm the removal of a previous print job via the Digital Factory interface. This is useful in situations where the build plate is clear, but the operator forgot to select Confirm removal on the printer’s display. Visit this page for more information about this feature.
        • 0 replies