Under extrusion with UM clear PLA - solved

stu_le_brew

Posted · Under extrusion with UM clear PLA - solved

I have today made a big step forward with a problem roll of clear PLA, it was down to the last 10meters on the roll and whatever I tried to print there was always random under extrusion, I tried changes to speed temp flow rate etc nothing worked

The solution was the filament was very tightly wound on to its roll and as it unrolled it seemed to remember the tight coil. UM clear PLA is a little stick and even with the reel on the floor (with a modified iRobert spool centre) it would come off in loops, this seemed to create some resistance to the extruder feeder. My solution was to warm the filament with boiling water and then straighten it before re-coiling onto a bigger diameter it is now printing with no problem at all

The feeder is not clicking at all, I always understood that this clicking was too much resistance at the print head, but it would seem that it can also be caused by some resistance at the input end of the feeder

:cool:

it can also be caused by some resistance at the input end of the feeder

Yes, definitely. Also it has more trouble going through the isolator when curved like this.

Seriously I find I always throw away the last 30% or so

I print the last 15% of any roll of UM filament using UM Original printer only. I also have no use for spools. I just put the filament on the floor whether it's spooled or not.

Me too George (ie using the floor) but I always find the Colorfabb filament to be really tightly rolled at the end. For the first time I have a roll of Faberdashery filament, being a test roll of customised filament. So it will be interesting to see how I get on with that.