Why no pause feature?

jweaver

Posted · Why no pause feature?

I am sorry to bang on about the same thing.. But I just don't understand why there is no Pause capabilty in CURA?

THis weekend I have been playing with PrintRun/Pronterface to print GCODE generated with CURA, and whilst its a mess, it has a perfectly working pause/resume button which did exactyl what you expect.

I then tried the same with Repetier.. And that not only allows a 'pause'.. But you can then move the bed/head around.. And when you hit resume, it goes right back to where it was.

It was perfect and using Repetier, I was able to print a cube with 5 perfect layers.

I just don't understand how the other apps can do this, but CURA can't? WHy not just give the option to use the "full" version of Pronterface?

Again, please don't think me ungreatful.. CURA is amazing.. I love it.. But its just a shame that it lacks a really important feature such as the ability to pause.

Jon

Because there will be a completely new GUI called 'Pink Unicorn' and the old GUI including the print dialog is therefore not extended by UM for the time being.

And the new GUI will have a "pause"?

I'm pretty sure Daid has something like that in mind for the Pink Unicorn edition as a lot of people have trouble with pause functionalities of any kind (pause on the printer, pauseatz plugin, missing pause feature for the printing dialog of the old GUI). Unfortunately the work on the PU edition is stalled at the moment due to more urgent things Daid has to take care about (yes there are more urgent things than the pause feature... ;) ).

I'm pretty sure Daid has something like that in mind for the Pink Unicorn edition as a lot of people have trouble with pause functionalities of any kind (pause on the printer, pauseatz plugin, missing pause feature for the printing dialog of the old GUI). Unfortunately the work on the PU edition is stalled at the moment due to more urgent things Daid has to take care about (yes there are more urgent things than the pause feature... ;) ).

Understood.. My understanding of PU is that its still a long way off.. But if its coming, then of course I can wait.....

I was just surprised how something like this is missing, when Repetier accepts an "'@pause" command in the GCODE and stops, with a big popup allowing you to continue.. It just seemed like such an obvious thing for 3D printing.

Fingers crossed PU wont' be too far away.....

I'm skeptical. UM is getting away from USB printing. They mainly support SD card printing and in the future wifi printing but USB printing is an "old technology" and they are looking to the future.

Having said that, you can pause just fine using gcode command or using panel (although from the panel there is a 20 or so movement delay because of the buffering). At least on UM machines. Don't know about printrbot.

So I think you are going to have to stick with repetier or pronterface for printing.

Cura's pause function for USB printing is broken. I have an intern which is going to look at it the upcomming weeks.

Having said that, you can pause just fine using gcode command or using panel (although from the panel there is a 20 or so movement delay because of the buffering). At least on UM machines. Don't know about printrbot.

Yep.. M0 or M1.. But there is no way to 'resume' the print unless you have a panel.

I am now using the @pause command and Repetier for scripted filament changes.. And the pause/resume button for doing it manually.

Its so frustrating that Repetier has a fully functioning Pause/Resume feature and not CURA.. I hope Daids Intern can find the problem....