1st layer problem

Posted · 1st layer problem

ive only been using cura for a few days now, much easier than slicer & pronterface.

im using a prusa i3 and it has a perfectly levelled bed with a 0.1 gap between the nozzle all over the bed. bet I have noticed when printing the first layer with cura

the distance between the nozzle and the bed is much higher than when homed.

I got about it by applying a little finger pressure on the extruder for the first layer

and off it went. otherwise the skirt and first layer would not make contact, cant see any option were the z axis would change this,

Hi,

The first thing to do is obviously a standard Bed Calibration using the Maintenance->Build Plate menu option, but I then print something with a nice large first layer, and manually adjust the screws as it's going around (always adjusting the screw when the head is furthest away, and doing it by trial and error, I can get small objects to put a perfect solid polished finish on the bottom layer at 0.1, however I've recently just discovered my glass plate is actually bowed so I can't do larger objects with a 0.1 layer just yet!

There is no 'option' to change, the build plate calibration built in pretty much gets you with 0.2mm or so following the instructions and using a thin sheet of paper as directed.

e,g, this is the bottom face of a small halloween badge I did for one of the kids.

2014 10 24 23.47.38

I'm running Cura 14.09 I can't see an option there for maintenance and build plate,there is a run bed levelling wizard, but it won't connect to the prusa i3' not sure if this function is only available for ultimaker's. But I will try your option: and create an STL line to go around the perimeter of the bed. I'll report back tomorrow

By default in Cura the bottom layer thickness is .3mm which means it moves to Z 0.3mm or .3mm "above" z=0 position.

If you change the bottom layer thickness to .1mm it will then move to Z 0.1MM and extrude 1/3 as much. Neither of these will help. You need to make it so that Z 0 is 0mm off the bed. Isn't it possible to do this when you "home" your prusa?

If not you can mess with stuff using G92 gcode (look it up). But better to level properly.

Ok thanks I didn't realise cura needed to set Z to 0.

Pronterface requires you to leave a 0.1 gap between the bed an the nozzle when the

Z is set to 0. I'll change it, and have a test run again.

Thanks

Ok I raised the bed to meet the nozzle. and im now printing like a beast.

8hr already. I would post some pictures but it won't let me upload pictures