Layer Offset

polypolyp

Posted · Layer Offset

Hello, I’m doing my first steps with the Ulimaker and got some strange results (photo attached). The 3d model is a simple 4 side cubic wall. It seems that each layers is printed with an huge offset to the right side. It also looks like there was no Z-movement, as the printhead did not change the height (maybe is isto less to recognize).

I was trying to open “printrun” to see if there are some possible calibration, but it does not connect to the printer (only Cura connects well).

Thanks for any help!

Posted · Layer Offset

I had the same problem, but then i turned up the potmeter (current setting) on the stepper drivers. I measured it and put them on 1.1A and it solved this issue for me.

In my experience only machine which are running less smoothly have this problem.

Posted · Layer Offset

Thanks so much for your suggestions.

Technicality, you are right: The XY movement of the printing-head is not very loose. I tried hard to make it softer, without much success. I tighten the printing belts again and turned the stepper-driver potmeter a quarter clockwise (couldn’t figure what indicates 1,1A). But still have the same offset.

If I move the head in 3 axis by software manually, all of them are working fine. if it’s a hardware problem, shouldn’t the printed square itself be distorted (rectangle) too? It seems that the offset only happened between printing one layer and the next.

I also tried to print the object very slow (without extrusion), to check if a change of speed is causing the offset, but it’s the same pattern.

Not sure what I should try next. Any ideas?

Thanks!

Posted · Layer Offset

In Top of 3D View are buttons to change the view. Right is for G-Code. There you can see how the head will move with the generated g-code.

If the g-code is right, there is only Firmware or hardware problems. No problem with Settings of slider (cura)

Posted · Layer Offset

I've heard rumours (but not confirmed) that it may be to do with electric interference (?) in the endstop circuit (?). To fix this, you could compile a marlin with the option 'endstops only for homing' checked, at Daid's great Marlin builder:

http://daid.eu/~daid/marlin_build/

If you have any questions about that procedure, just ask!

Posted · Layer Offset

It are probably the pulleys of the motors (onthe axis and the shaft).

Be carefull with turning up the power!! A quarter is a lot. Maybe they where up to much already and then you can get the problem as well. Stepper overheats --> stops --> cools down --> starts again.

(can somebody change this away from software/cura, it is a hardware problem...)

Posted · Layer Offset

Techicality, 'endstops only for homing' checked solved the offset problem. Thanks so much for your help.

It seems with the new firmware, the initial distance between the nozzle and the platform is a bit too high, so the first layer doesn’t stick on the ground (already adjusted the Z-stopper very tight). However, it’s another topic that might be discussed already somewhere in the forum, so I’ll search first. Feel like I’m a big step closer to my first Ultimaker print.

Thanks a lot!

Posted · Layer Offset

To get some prints going, manually turn the Z axis until the bed raises and the filament sticks for your first few prints. Then print one of these

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:11033

to fine tune your Z axis. You'll need to flip that endstop around (as per the thingiverse instructions), but I didn't have to remove the metal end stop lever.

as for your endstop only during homing issue, have you made sure all the motor and limit switch wires are twisted? The twisting should reduce the interference effects.